FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
dantt99 wrote:Cool! How many days has it been now?
It's been 20 days =]. I think more have germinated but I haven't checked thoroughly. Got a really bad cold (they knock me on my butt thanks to other medical conditions plus lack of sleep) so I'll check when I can bend over without exploding.

I did manage to finally get some photos though! Enjoy! Sorry for their quality, my hands aren't steady.

Here's my propagator from the oustide, nice and misty inside. I spray the seeds regularly but carefully to keep humidity and temperatures high. The propagator box is above my computer, which generates heat and keeps the seeds at a good temperature.

Here are the sixteen central "growing pits" from my Ferrero Roche tray. I decided to only use the pits that didn't have that odd indentation you see in the empty ones. Gives the seeds a tiny bit more wriggle room.. or I like to think it does.

Zoom-out of the tray.

Another zoom out. Excuse the little glass cup, it has a seedling in it that seems to have given up on me.

I ringed the seedlings so hopefully you can see them. I haven't ringed all the seedlings, there are more than displayed but I can't find them to ring them as they're too tiny.

Yay!
By Grey
Thank you both for the well-wishes and I am so excited I can't describe it! My plants are looking happy and healthy. I'm moving my venus fly traps out of the cold conservatory soon and slowly getting their temperature and light exposure up.

I'll keep you updated to the seedlings progress.
By Grey
I can't believe it has only been four days since my last update. The growth rate of these little things is astounding! They look beautiful and I am certainly a proud "mum".

I'm trying to stay optimistic as I know anything can go wrong at any time, so I am also keeping a very close eye on the conditions inside the propagator in case the worst happens -- Heaven forbid -- then I'll at least know what went wrong.

I've also made one of my friends very excited by offering him one of the seedlings when they are large enough to be transported. I've emailed him a variety of links to documents and told him of the community here. He's aware it could be a couple of months before I'm comfortable sending a seedling out and also that these are fragile youngsters and something might go wrong (I'll do everything in my power to prevent that!).

Mum also bought me a mini propagator box for some snail eggs of mine. I don't mean garden snails, but to save going off-topic I may create a different topic about it later. The propagator is really compact and space saving. I'm considering purchasing a second one and having a go at germinating some cobra lilly seeds.. I know they take a long time to reach any real size so this small propagator would be great as it does not take up much room. Hmm.

On a non-seedling note: one of the pitchers on my nepenthes is getting HUGE! I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I saved it from a mould outbreak -- I'm glad! Oh my room is so full of life.
By CPgrower
Excellent, Grey!! The cover looks great! I noticed how easily the tray flooded as well. I had gone away for three days and left the light on..they dried out a little. :( I guess I should have left the light off. Now there are 15 or so left, moved into another pot to conserve space. Yours is so cool! Can't wait to compare them once they are a little bigger (enough to tell what they are). And you have a good idea about giving one to a friend. I wanted to do that too; build my dad a mini bog garden outside. He's being to get sold on the idea too!!!
By Grey
Thank you CPgrower =]. The entire propagator box is available from Homebase (if you're in the UK). They're £5 -- you can also buy heated ones, larger ones or just the lid seperately (though it costs more than the lid + base haha).

Sorry about your seedlings dryness! Ahh I'll be sure to take tons of photos when the seedlings look more like venus fly traps. I'd love to get my parents into carnivorous plants as well buut.. well, I think they've decided to leave it to me and just listen to me natter about it 24/7.

SASE is in my possession.

SASE has been received, all is well with the world[…]

Cactus Care

I think they look nice in the pot they are in for[…]

Oh yeah I forgot to post a couple things I was loo[…]

Another flower popped

Hey all, another flower popped last night from an […]

Hello, I would like to request SD-23-005 D. felix[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!