FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Thanks for posting the updated photos, Dionae. The baby Flytraps look great. :)
Steve_D liked this
By Dionae
Heres a few VFTs I didn't let stay dormant that started flowering. One is a royal red and the other is a typical with huge traps. I was going to TC the flower stalks but curiosity got the best of me. I've been trying to pollinate the RR so hopefully i'll have some fresh seed to TC. Just as soon as the typicals flowers open i'm going to cross pollinate these 2.
Attachments:
RR
RR
DSCF9577.JPG (35.08 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
RR
RR
DSCF9578.JPG (34.08 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
RR
RR
DSCF9580.JPG (33.19 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
Typical
Typical
DSCF9583.JPG (26.34 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
Typical
Typical
DSCF9590.JPG (41.44 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
Typical
Typical
DSCF9594.JPG (41.2 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
By dantt99
Wow! Amazing! :D All I have to say :)
dantt99 liked this
By uusa2000
Dionae wrote:I bought a VFT a couple of weeks ago and decided to let it come out of dormancy so I can have something to look at. Threw it in the 24 hour terrarium and now it has a flower stalk growing. So, I guess 24 hour lighting doesn't bother a VFTs flowering...weird. I'll post pics in a lil while.

I'm going to take her and flood her with light. Going to put her under a 250w HPS to help those flowers out a lil:).
I know this is an old thread but how did you contol temps with these kind of lights on 24hrs?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
uusa2000 liked this
By Jagasian
What were the results of this experiment? Do Venus Flytraps grow faster under a continuous photoperiod (aka “24 hour light”)? Sphagnum is an example of a plant that grows the fastest under continuous illumination, but sphagnum also does not require a winter dormancy to remain healthy.

Obviously flytraps can’t grow under 24 hour light when they are supposed to be in dormancy, but I am curious if they benefit from 24 hour light during spring and summertime.
Jagasian liked this
By uusa2000
Jagasian wrote:What were the results of this experiment? Do Venus Flytraps grow faster under a continuous photoperiod (aka “24 hour light”)? Sphagnum is an example of a plant that grows the fastest under continuous illumination, but sphagnum also does not require a winter dormancy to remain healthy.

Obviously flytraps can’t grow under 24 hour light when they are supposed to be in dormancy, but I am curious if they benefit from 24 hour light during spring and summertime.
Me too

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
uusa2000 liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
uusa2000 wrote:
Jagasian wrote:What were the results of this experiment? Do Venus Flytraps grow faster under a continuous photoperiod (aka “24 hour light”)? Sphagnum is an example of a plant that grows the fastest under continuous illumination, but sphagnum also does not require a winter dormancy to remain healthy.

Me too

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
I experimented with 24 hour lighting with cephalotus, d.capensis and typicals and they all grew faster than the others and I had no bad effects. If I had sunny days in the winter, except for the cephalotus, I would put them outside and then bring them back in, but they are under a much weaker LED inside. Also, I allowed the vfts a full 2 months dormancy, thinking they only need 6 weeks. I have the spring sunlight now and I don't really need the 24 hour lighting but if I was growing commercially, I would consider having a green house that gets sunlight and at night I would let some grow lights come on to keep it at 24 hours. And, after stopping the 24 hour lighting and putting them in 6 to 8 hours of sunlight, they're still just fine. So if you sold them, they won't die in a few days from shock. Just my experience.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!