FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By chaosatlanta
I've got sproutage!

Drosera capensis - I have at least 20-30 sprouts so far.
16 days after sowing they are about 1/4" tall, as thin as a human hair and barely visible to the naked eye:

A "mystery sprout" - after 6 weeks of stratification, this one was sown Feb 19th ... so about 42 days ago.
I have several mystery sprouts popping up, but this one was the largest & yet can barely be seen by the naked eye.
It was in a mixed pack of seeds (Sarracenia & Drosera):

This itty bitty thing is most likely a VFT sown January 8th (whew! better late than never!)

I'm still watching my Drosera spatulata & Drosera burmannii seeds (thanks Quatchi) ... but they are keeping a low profile for now. I'll add more pics as things develop.
~Cheryl
chaosatlanta liked this
By Daniel_G
Well done!

Why would we laugh? Germination is brilliant, even if it's near impossible to see :lol:

Keep us posted!
Daniel_G liked this
By David F
Oh man, it took me 2 days after germination (guesstimation) just to see it they trully are small, I don't believe very many out of all that I got germinated. I hope to see more soon, I think they have some tiny carnivorous leaves now.
By chaosatlanta
Thanks! It has been a couple weeks since my last post, so I actually have some updates.

Drosera capensis - 32 days after sowing they are now about 1/2" tall.
The first carnivorous leaves are now visible. I've got tons of these little guys now!
Image Image

My "mystery sprout" - sown Feb 19th ... so about 58 days ago. This is likely some type of Drosera.
It has doubled in size in the last couple weeks.

This is most likely a VFT sown January 8th - you can see how much it has grown by comparing it to the little "stick" above it in the photo. (Left photo is April 02 - right photo is April 18.) It's still too small to see any carnivorous leaves.
Image Image

I also have some new Drosera spatulata sprouts & a few other mystery sprouts ... I'll update when they get a little bigger.
I'm having fun watching these little guys grow & can't wait till they start eating. (ha-ha)
~Cheryl
chaosatlanta liked this
By Daniel_G
Wow! They're doing very well!

I suggest feeding them minute bits of fish-pellet to make em' grow faster, you'll really notice sped up growth!

Well done!
By chaosatlanta
Daniel_G wrote:I suggest feeding them minute bits of fish-pellet to make em' grow faster, you'll really notice sped up growth!
I ended up getting some freeze dried bloodworms (EEEWW!!) and have started feeding them "bloodworm soup". I'm hoping they get a bit of a growth spurt from it.

Since I now have a variety of seedlings to keep track of, I decided to post a growlist (link is below) & update the info and photos as they grow.

Thanks for all the nice comments!
~Cheryl
By MICKEY
try going to a reptile store or site and u can get a flightless fruit culture for a few dollars there easy to raise and you will always have food for your plants
By BenWilliam
Your mystery sprout is actually a prothallus.

Prothallium are the first stage of a fern or other spore bearing plant, and grow both male and female reproductive organs in order to fertilise itself and start a new plant.

Do you have any fern around at the moment that are sporing? By the looks of it, it is quite advanced and a dare say that fertilisation has already occured, and before too long you should have the first true leaf emerge from the base of the prothallus. Just ensure to keep it very moist if you wish to continue growing it. You should be proud of this. Prothalium are rather hard to get growing in artificial conditions!
BenWilliam, BenWilliam liked this

Well, I'm just astonished! I received the seed ord[…]

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Water Quality

That's true, but I think zero water pitcher is b[…]

Sarracenia and Drosera for Sale!

Are the Drosera still available?? Are the Droser[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or t[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!