FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By somerandomband
All of my carnivorous plants are doing wonderfully besides my beloved nepenthes. My Nepenthes Belle has killed all but one pitcher besides this one that has a mysterious slash in it but otherwise seems healthy
The ventricosa
The ventricosa
20171119_161149-1.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Secondly, my new and baby nep had 4 healthy pitchers when I received her and now is killing two of them help!
Baby nep :(
Baby nep :(
20171119_163941.jpg (469.35 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
I live in zone 8b and it's cold here. I just suppose it is too cold for them right now ..?
Last edited by somerandomband on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mo_carnivore
Probably. The neps might survive the winter, but they'll completely stop growth and lose probably all their pitchers. Come spring, it will take a while to have them start growing again. If it doesn't freeze, you could do it. If you planted them in a drained pot buried in the ground, after several years you could have a spectacular centerpiece. But I wouldn't risk it. If you can, try to bring them in for the winter.
By somerandomband
I have both nepenthes, a dormant sarracenia, baby cobra lilies, a drosera capensis, a dormant and three non dormant fly traps as well as a few succulents and cannabis plants in the garage with two warming mats. The two mats are under the pitcher plant area and the fly traps and it's still not warm enough to neps. My garage is not insulated either :/ if I put a small space heater under the table holding them all, do you think that would help? Or just waste the energy? Probably a stupid question lol
When I bring then in the house, my cat becomes a problem though :(
By heffely92
somerandomband wrote:I have both nepenthes, a dormant sarracenia, baby cobra lilies, a drosera capensis, a dormant and three non dormant fly traps as well as a few succulents and cannabis plants in the garage with two warming mats. The two mats are under the pitcher plant area and the fly traps and it's still not warm enough to neps. My garage is not insulated either :/ if I put a small space heater under the table holding them all, do you think that would help? Or just waste the energy? Probably a stupid question lol
When I bring then in the house, my cat becomes a problem though :(
Oh no don't do that I put my vent rata on top of one of those heaters because it was cold and close to the window then two days later I come back and check on them they were burnt and brown and looked dead

Sent from chicago
By KategoricalKarnivore
Do you know what species the Neps are?
Here is a great guide that will tell you what kind of temperatures they experience in nature. https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/res ... ive-guide/
A heater that blows hot air will likely dry the plants out pretty quickly.
By somerandomband
My big nep is a ventricosa and the small one I'm not sure. I got her from a grower here in Oregon who wasn't sure what species she is. I didn't try the heater thing, don't worry. I'm going to bring my neps in the house in a protective (from my cat) container with lots of light. I think this is the best solution from the cold.
This is my first year as a grower, so thank you guys for bearing with me!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!