FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
My N. x Miranda has not been producing pitchers. I realized this when I went back to Home Depot where I got it, and saw that one of the older plants had large, ballooning new pitchers forming. Is there something I need to do to get faster growth? There are no more pitchers left, so I cannot feed it as I would a flytrap, with bloodworms or anything. Is there any fertilizer I could use, or do I not need that? Is it a humidity problem? Again, there is new growth but it is not growing fast.

Specs of how I am keeping it:

Day temps 65-75
Night temps 55-65

Humidity, medium. 30-50%
By Alvin 415
Is it not producing new leaves (thus no new pitchers)?

Or does it produce new leaves, but the pitchers don't mature?

Regarding fertilizer: I've used Maxsea diluted 1/4 strength as a foliar spray. Growth seemed to really take off after this.

I've also read good things about drenching the soil with coffee, but I haven't tried it yet.
By katya_dog1
It is producing new growth, but it is growing VERY slowly. So slowly, in fact, that I have no pitchers maturing. There are the little brown fuzzy bumps on the end of the tendrils, but my real problem is that I have not had a mature leaf yet. All the leaves are still immature, so no pitchers at all. They are a light, shiny green, if that helps.

Where could I get MaxSea? Do you have a recommendation? I've been needing to get some, but so far I have squeezed by with bloodworms. Unfortunately, feeding 50 young Sarracenia pitchers gets old after a while.
By Cory
It's to cold

If you want it to grow warm it up it has northiana. In it and it won't do well in near HL conditions

Fertilizer isn't going to offset it being cold and may do you much more harm than good.
Cory liked this
By katya_dog1
Okay, that makes sense considering where it is. I will move it immediately.
By Cory
Once you warm it up it will grow like a weed.

If you can keep it above 70 at night it will be optimal.
Daytime temps can be as high as you like mines at 100* sometimes and it's fine
By Alvin 415
Cory wrote: Fertilizer isn't going to offset it being cold and may do you much more harm than good.
I agree with this. If it is cold and not growing, I wouldn't fertilize.

Maxsea 16-16-16 was recommended in Peter D'Amato's book The Savage Garden. This is a great book that belongs in every CP enthusiasts's library, IMO.

If you can't find Maxsea at your local nursery, you can find a 1.5 pound container on amazon for less than $20. 1.5 pounds goes a long way.
Alvin 415 liked this
By katya_dog1
O.K. thanks! I have the new edition of the savage garden, and have read the old edition from my library as well.

@Cory, I simply thought that the Miranda would do better with cooler nights. I can move it to where it will be getting 70.

Thanks again, both of you!
Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!