FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By P A U L
i was looking into getting new pots for my sundews & vft and saw these: https://www.amazon.com/Planter-Succulen ... +pot+glass
81jk7oThrTL._SL1500_.jpg
81jk7oThrTL._SL1500_.jpg (183.79 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
the "tray" for this pot looks like all evaporated water would go up the drain hole into the soil... is that bad? or does my VFT/sundew need the traditional 'open' tray (see image below) so the evaporation could go up and around the pot/plant?

71RberWEpfL._SL1500_.jpg
71RberWEpfL._SL1500_.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
Those are really nice! either would work. in nature, water would seep up under them. my only caution would be sundews like humidity. I plant mine deeper in a pot than a venus fly trap to give it more humidity. I'm also considering putting them all in a large deep tupperwear so they have even more humidity. d.capensis are hardy. they are tough.
By Big-Jack
The concept is fine but in my experience clear pots get very hot in the sunlight which can cook the roots and also end up covered on the inside glass with algae and/or moss.
By P A U L
Big-Jack wrote:The concept is fine but in my experience clear pots get very hot in the sunlight which can cook the roots and also end up covered on the inside glass with algae and/or moss.
i grow all my plants indoors on a windowsill with no direct sunlight. i'm currently looking into the best artificial lighting i can provide for the plants. they seem to do fine right now with the indirect sunlight it's getting--it's been about 2 weeks so far. i'm a bit wary of transplating the plants into a new pot.
By Toady
Venus flytraps and sundews can grow well in average household humidity levels, so humidity shouldn't be a concern. That suspended pot holder appears to seal over the drainage area, so there would be no humidity from it anyway.
By P A U L
Toady wrote:Venus flytraps and sundews can grow well in average household humidity levels, so humidity shouldn't be a concern. That suspended pot holder appears to seal over the drainage area, so there would be no humidity from it anyway.
oh that's right. duhhh. i can't believe i didn't see that. :lol:

Request received. Your request number is 1814. I'l[…]

My BLC Copper Queen Cataleya

. PXL_20240920_224147131_Original.jpeg

I mostly grow Sarracenia and VFTs and recently had[…]

Order received, thank you

Order received, thank you

Always better to be safe than sorry! Words of w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!