FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By airelle
I sowed my vft seed about 10 days ago, and they haven't germinated. I think they're old seed, I bought them two months ago, I sowed them in moss(don't now it is sphagnum moss or peat moss) and covered it with plastic wrap, once or twice a day I open the wrap to let some air in and spray them. I put it on the windowsill with no direct sunlight, will the seed germinate?
By Eric
Giving it warmth will stimulate the seeds to germinate. I've had great success putting the container under a light.
Eric liked this
By Veronis
If there are no holes in your plastic wrap, put about 20 holes all over it with a tooth pick. It needs some full-time ventilation; this won't affect the humidity much, and the holes create a more appropriate environment.

Flytrap seeds generally take 3-6 weeks to germinate.
By airelle
Done, thank you :D I hope they will germinate soon, but I'm not sure since they are old seed
By jwbates26
Just curious. You said that you sowed the seeds "in the moss." Did you place the seeds on top of the soil or did you burry the seeds in the soil?
By steve booth
Hi airelle

You say you "don't now it is sphagnum moss or peat moss". Those are one and the same, if you are not sure whether the moss is sphagnum or not, it may be worth doing a bit of research if you can, on the type of moss you planted them in/on. Not all types of mosses are good for CPs and could inhibit germination or growth.

Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By airelle
Oh, I placed the seed on top of the soil. I sowed 6, but I just can see 3 of them, I wonder where have the rest gone.. I got the moss from my friend so I'm not sure what kind of moss it is. But the seeds that my friend sowed have germinated.
By Veronis
It's very important to know what you sowed them in.

Assuming that you are at least certain that the moss is sphagnum-based:

If it looks like this,
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/seed ... orchid.JPG

it's long fibered (dead) sphagnum moss, which is OK.

If it looks more like this (though it will be much darker when wet),
http://yourgardeningfriend.com/wp-conte ... -hand1.jpg

it's sphagnum peat-moss, which is still OK.

Any other moss is not OK. Flytrap seeds will still germinate in incorrect soil, but they will usually be dead within weeks after germinating.
Veronis liked this
By Matt
fly [12] wrote:Do VFT seeds need sunlight or just any type of light?
I'm not sure light is actually required for germination. As long as they're kept damp and warm, the seeds will germinate. Once they do germinate, they'll need light.
By airelle
Ok..... 2 of my seeds have germinated!! Oh I'm so happy right now, they do germinate :')
But they're so small
By Grey
Congrats on the germination! You'll be surprised just how quickly they begin to look like venus fly traps once they've germinated. Seeing their first traps is incredible - though they do grow rather slowly once they have a couple of traps.

Growth speeds up after the first year/year and a half as far as I know after that. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
By airelle
But it's not like the other seedlings I see in this forum, the colour is pale green, very very pale, and I think it's only stem no leaves yet, it is normal? Oh and sorry for my bad english

And it is sooooooooooooooooooooo thin, really2 thin :'(
By Matt
airelle wrote:But it's not like the other seedlings I see in this forum, the colour is pale green, very very pale, and I think it's only stem no leaves yet, it is normal?
I don't think so. Are you sure it's a flytrap seedling? It could be something else that germinated.

Thank you! I thought perhaps I had waited too long[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in[…]

Help with care for my VFT

You're checking all the boxes, except for the ligh[…]

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty […]

Pest control question

Hey all. My Sarrs got hit with thrips this Spring […]

I'd like to give her some of these when they're […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I just found these in my bog pot I didn't let any […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!