FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By gar1948
Just noticed tiny white specs all over my cape sundew. they are oblong but very small and don't seem to move. What is it and what insecticides are safe for this plant?
By Ras
a clear and close pic would help alot
cant say forsure really, might be a fungus or type of aphid or something
I use neem oil for pretty much anything involving pests and fungus , but still a pic would be nice :)
Ras liked this
By parker679
Could be scale. A picture would help.

Neem oil works well if you're looking for an organic approach.

Acephate works well too and is systemic, meaning it's absorbed by the plant and remains active in the plant tissue for a period of time. Systemic pesticides are great for their ability to continue to kill pests after application though that can create problems for pollinators.
parker679 liked this
By markus13
Aphids! I noticed the same thing on a D. cap that I have and it was aphids. If you look really close you should be able to see the green little SOB's crawling around. I used a systemic on them and it wiped them right out. I think the name of it was Bayer Rose and Flower Pest Control.
markus13 liked this
By Ras
markus13 wrote:Aphids! I noticed the same thing on a D. cap that I have and it was aphids. If you look really close you should be able to see the green little SOB's crawling around. I used a systemic on them and it wiped them right out. I think the name of it was Bayer Rose and Flower Pest Control.
lol i used to use that stuff on my coleous and paintbrush plants, I never knew it worked for cps... I havent tried it , it worked really well on my other plants though
But I only use organics on my cps though just to be safe :P I might have to try the bayer stuff though if i ever get another pest problem
By gar1948
I think I'm dealing with aphids. I see Sarracenia North West has a video on cp insecticides. I'm going to submerge the whole plant in water to drown the little buggers. Tomorrow I will buy some Bayer rose & flower insect killer that contains imidacloprid (a nicotine derivitive) which is a systemic and should clean up the plant. Thanks for all the responses.

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well[…]

New donation, new location

Screenshot_20240308_162638_Samsung Internet.jpg […]

Counting to infinity.

2498!!

I admit I just chose the one with the longest name[…]

New donation

For those of you interested in how I make the seed[…]

I love seeing collections of carnivorous plants di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!