FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By DeathMob
Just as the topic states, but I’m looking for an Pinguicula species that is easy to take care of. I have been reading about them, but I either don’t get enough information or the information is scattered with other species of CPs.

I’m looking for a butterwort that can sit in a windowsill or outside, does not necessarily need humidity, doesn’t need cool soil, and can withstand temperature range of as low as 20* F or lower and as high as 70* F or higher.

P.S. I am very interested in Pinguicula esseriana and gigantea. My hardiness level is 7a-7b.
By heywhathuh
Almost any Mexican Pinguicula would work for your windowsill, sadly your outdoor temperature is too cold for those (which includes esseriana and gigantea.) If you are looking for something for outside, you need a "cold temperate pinguicula" (any of them) or pinguicula lusitanica, which is a warm temperate with remarkable cold tolerance.

I've also got a few cheap Mexican pinguicula hybrids left for sale if you are interested, but sadly have nothing to offer you that can grow outside year round currently.
By DeathMob
heywhathuh wrote:Almost any Mexican Pinguicula would work for your windowsill, sadly your outdoor temperature is too cold for those (which includes esseriana and gigantea.) If you are looking for something for outside, you need a "cold temperate pinguicula" (any of them) or pinguicula lusitanica, which is a warm temperate with remarkable cold tolerance.

I've also got a few cheap Mexican pinguicula hybrids left for sale if you are interested, but sadly have nothing to offer you that can grow outside year round currently.
Ohhhh awesome!!! Thank you!!! Are you in the US and can you show me your hybrids? Do you sell seeds by any chance. Also the ones I mentioned are tropical, do they need humidity? If so can misting them once or twice daily work?

Oh I forgot to mention I would bring them inside if I had to if it got too cold, but if I could take good care of them year round on a windowsill I would much prefer that vs. being outdoor for the winter. We keep our house around 70-72* F.
By heywhathuh
As Bob said, a windowsill year round is fine. Some folks move them outdoors for the warm weather, but it is certainly not required by any means.

For a beginner, it is better to start with plants rather than seed for Mexican Pinguicula. If you want to try growing one from seed, you're looking for a warm or cold temperate, as they are easier to grow from seed in my experience. I would offer you some seeds, but I am sadly entirely out right now.

Humidity is, as far as I know, still debated. They certainly do not need high humidity to grow, but some folks think they grow better in higher humidity. Misting might even be overkill, and could potentially invite rot if water is allowed to sit on the crown of the plant.

And yes, I am in the USA, some of my most recent photos are here: https://imgur.com/gallery/8EjHwoL
By Bob Beer
DeathMob where are you? Knowing that will tell us a lot more about your humidity etc.

About the only Mexican pings I’d avoid to start with are maybe some of those that go down to a (virtual) “bulb” in the winter. They’re not all that common anyway. Most of the many different moranensis varieties are easy. Esseriana and gigantea are also pretty straightforward. The main thing for beginners who already grown other CP, even other pings, is not to treat them like bog plants. They don’t want to grow in wet peat. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
By DeathMob
heywhathuh wrote:As Bob said, a windowsill year round is fine. Some folks move them outdoors for the warm weather, but it is certainly not required by any means.

For a beginner, it is better to start with plants rather than seed for Mexican Pinguicula. If you want to try growing one from seed, you're looking for a warm or cold temperate, as they are easier to grow from seed in my experience. I would offer you some seeds, but I am sadly entirely out right now.

Humidity is, as far as I know, still debated. They certainly do not need high humidity to grow, but some folks think they grow better in higher humidity. Misting might even be overkill, and could potentially invite rot if water is allowed to sit on the crown of the plant.

And yes, I am in the USA, some of my most recent photos are here: https://imgur.com/gallery/8EjHwoL
Those are very beautiful plants man! I would definitely like to buy a couple! But first, I Want to know how I would be able to transfer money to you? Can you write down the price on the pictures and maybe the species name so I can know what I’m buying please?
By heywhathuh
DeathMob wrote:
heywhathuh wrote:As Bob said, a windowsill year round is fine. Some folks move them outdoors for the warm weather, but it is certainly not required by any means.

Those are very beautiful plants man! I would definitely like to buy a couple! But first, I Want to know how I would be able to transfer money to you? Can you write down the price on the pictures and maybe the species name so I can know what I’m buying please?

Always through Paypal, and I will PM you with a list of what I've got available and their prices shortly. Sadly some of what's in those photos is sold out for now!
By DeathMob
Bob Beer wrote:DeathMob where are you? Knowing that will tell us a lot more about your humidity etc.

About the only Mexican pings I’d avoid to start with are maybe some of those that go down to a (virtual) “bulb” in the winter. They’re not all that common anyway. Most of the many different moranensis varieties are easy. Esseriana and gigantea are also pretty straightforward. The main thing for beginners who already grown other CP, even other pings, is not to treat them like bog plants. They don’t want to grow in wet peat. :-)

I’m in Maryland, my book says that some do like to be kept wet at certain times and dry in other cases and overhead watering depending on the plants. It does look like they do well with shading and a bit of sunlight.
By DeathMob
heywhathuh wrote:
DeathMob wrote:

Always through Paypal, and I will PM you with a list of what I've got available and their prices shortly. Sadly some of what's in those photos is sold out for now!
Atm I do not have a papypal acount. I will take a look at your pings when I get the chance, thank you! :)
By Bob Beer
They are tolerant of different amounts of light. As I said, east window is really good. (That said, I grow under lights because I don’t have good window space available.) Higher light, especially combined with cool nights, can bring out more color. But the first plant I got was grown in full shade, the leaves were stretched out but it still grew and flowered well.

I water everything on the tray method, from below. I’ve heard that watering a stubbornly dormant plant from above can help to wake it up, but I think it’s mostly temperature. Don’t worry about dire warnings never to water from above...they get rained on in nature all the time. ;-) Be careful with “absolute” kinds of instructions like “they must be kept completely dry all winter,” etc. People have a tendency to find what works and then say “this is the way it has to be.” But we’re not in their native habitat, and our conditions vary. Some people keep them completely dry during the winter; fine if they’re cool and there is good humidity. In the average home with central heating, it’s better to give them some water. In winter I put half an inch or so of water into the trays, let them go dry and stay dry for a few days, then water again.

By DeathMob
Bob Beer wrote:They are tolerant of different amounts of light. As I said, east window is really good. (That said, I grow under lights because I don’t have good window space available.) Higher light, especially combined with cool nights, can bring out more color. But the first plant I got was grown in full shade, the leaves were stretched out but it still grew and flowered well.

I water everything on the tray method, from below. I’ve heard that watering a stubbornly dormant plant from above can help to wake it up, but I think it’s mostly temperature. Don’t worry about dire warnings never to water from above...they get rained on in nature all the time. ;-) Be careful with “absolute” kinds of instructions like “they must be kept completely dry all winter,” etc. People have a tendency to find what works and then say “this is the way it has to be.” But we’re not in their native habitat, and our conditions vary. Some people keep them completely dry during the winter; fine if they’re cool and there is good humidity. In the average home with central heating, it’s better to give them some water. In winter I put half an inch or so of water into the trays, let them go dry and stay dry for a few days, then water again.
Awesome, thank you for letting me know. This is exactly why I like to have more references. I want the most current information about these plants and now that you say it, it doesn’t make sense for them to be completely dry. Just b/c they are inactive doesn’t mean they don’t need water and just b/c they are “Mexican” butterworts don’t mean they don’t get water at all they have to get water sometime. So the tray method should be sufficient enough.

Btw for most pings, the soil to use would be peat and sphagnum, or just sphagnum or peat depending on the species?
By jeff
Bonjour

why not try temperate style P.vulgaris (allways outside), or subtropical US as P.caerulea.

for the mexican I always advise to start with hybrids of the style x'Sethos ', X' Weser ', X' Tina ' very easy to find in garden centers.They are easy enough plants that are ideal for hand-making ,which does not claim special conditions since they are horticultural hybrids.

the problem with watering in dormant period ('in situ' the dry period) is the rotting, so a slightly moist substrate may be a good solution with always good air humidity, especially when the substrate is not completely mineral, as most horticultural hybrids.

avoid dry atmospheres of overheated rooms.

for my part I always go out all my mexican ping from May to October and I return them from October to May in a bright room with a temperature of 10-12 ° C on average, especially no temperature below 5 ° C,dry or slightly wet substrate for the majority and completely dry for all ping with 'hibernacle' and onion.
Last edited by jeff on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!