FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sundew
i have a drosera capensis that i never acclimated but it has been doing very well outside. im thinking about getting a drosra binata or maybe something else. i can't keep it inside and there really isnt anywhere i can keep it outside that is not extremely bright. i know that it can burn the leaves but can it kill my plant?

i live in san antonio texas if that matters.
By Ras
eesh, honestly I've never had a plant actually die from sunburning, but I only grow hardy plants outside, and I also move them to shade when it looks too bad like when the new growth burns for example.
I think a plant can die from sunburning, depending on the conditions.. but I wouldn't expect a binita to die.. that being said you shouldn't take any chances, acclimating can be as simple as placing a piece of paper in front of the plant to give it shade , or putting the plant in a spot where light breaks through the leaves on a tree. If nothing else you can just bring the plant inside around 2:00 in the afternoon and put it back out when the sun drops, so it gets only morning and early afternoon sun for about a week or 2 , increasing the amount of time gradually . then you should be fine.
good luck
By fattytuna
Drosera capensis is very tough and wont die anyway.

It depends on the health and maturity of the plant.
Here in sydney, D binata grows in the wild full sun. When it gets very hot and dry then it tends to die back to the ground and quickly recover when temperatures regulate again. If you do not acclimatize it and outside conditions are poor, I'm assuming that that will happen (the worser case scenario).
Binata is a tough plant and if your one is mature with a healthy root system then I wouldn't worry too much about it dying. If you skip acclimatizing, It will probably lose its dew for a week or two and then send up healthy new leaves when it gets used to the new conditions. A healthy plant can definitely grow in direct sun.

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well[…]

I love seeing collections of carnivorous plants di[…]

Greatly appreciated as always. I've got a bunch o[…]

New donation, new location

https://y.yarn.co/f63d46fb-cb24-47ea-92a7-c1aeae3[…]

Please and thank you!

Argh! We have a run-off! For the next 24 hours, vo[…]

https://i.imgur.com/96fbvFf.jpeg

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!