FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundew grower
This is kind've a repost of a topic that never got answered. My nepenthes is potted in a shpagnum peat moss mix. I know you're supposed to use long fiber sphagnum moss but I didn't have any when I got it. Right now I'm watering it whenever the top 1/2 inch or so is dry. The pot has drain holes on the bottom. I was wondering if you could drill holes in the side of the pot to more evenly dry it out. Do you guys think what I'm doing will rot the roots?
Last edited by Sundew grower on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
I am no expert as I have almost killed my neps in every way known to man but I had them in straight peat with only bottom drainage holes and had no problem with rot. The only time I did was when I had them in a tray of water (yeah, I know, bad idea but it was before I found this forum)
Sundew grower liked this
By Sundew grower
I decided to just drill 4 holes around the pot for better drainage. The drill bit would go through the plastic and into the soil a little ways. I've heard that they have very shallow roots. So would this hole be deep enough to where the bit wouldn't hit the roots?
20210610_172026.jpg
20210610_172026.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 1609 times
By BugBiters
That should be totally fine. You are basically just making your own net pots. I also doubt poking those holes will disturb the roots at all - they really do have itty bitty root balls relative to their size. It will probably be fine even if you snag one, just be cautious.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!