FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundew grower
I'm keeping my nepenthes outside in our greenhouse, and it can get hot out there. I recorded the temperature at 102°F(39°C) earlier today. The plant doesn't seem to mind because it is growing fine and doesn't show any sign of leaf burn, but the water in the pitchers evaporates. When it gets low I just spray a little bit of distilled water into it until it's about 1/3 of the way full. Is this what I should be doing?
By Sundew grower
I thought it would be too, but it's doing just fine. The place I bought it from showed a picture of them holding a thermometer in their greenhouse reading 102°F as well.
By Supercazzola
Doing fine and flourishing are two different things. I mean a fish could survive in a small glass fishbowl, but would it be the right thing to do?
Not criticizing you, just stating that I bet that plant would love it more in the 80’s max…
Sundew grower liked this
By Sundew grower
I know it would rather be cooler, but the greenhouse is my best option because all our windows are covered by trees or porch covers. Feel free to criticize anytime though if I'm doing something wrong.
By ChefDean
Sundew grower wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:25 am I know it would rather be cooler, but the greenhouse is my best option because all our windows are covered by trees or porch covers. Feel free to criticize anytime though if I'm doing something wrong.
Nepenthes don't like a lot of direct sunlight, preferring bright, indirect light. Depending on the species of Nep, any of your windows that are blocked by trees, especially an east or south facing one, would be fine to hang it in front of. I say the ones blocked by trees because they'll still let some dappled light through, where the porch covers will not.
That being said, if you're not seeing any detrimental effects of the higher temps in the greenhouse, leave it alone. However, I surmise that the water isn't evaporating out of the pitchers directly. The higher temps are causing the plant to transpire more, even in the higher relative humidity in the greenhouse. The plants are then absorbing the water from the pitchers in order to replace that water they are losing through their leaves.
This could be a problem because the plant would not be able to maintain the liquid level in the pitcher to drown and digest its prey. A trapped bug could simply chew its way out the pitcher. Or, if it does drown, and there's not enough liquid to cover the critter with enzymes to be properly digested, the bug could quickly become a pile of mold and fungus, harming the plant.
I'm not saying that will happen, just pointing out possibilities.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!