FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Goodkoalie
Hello everyone. When I brought my s. Rubra gulfensis inside to trim, label, and inspect for pests, I noticed that one growing point is growing a flower. At the time I thought it was just a kre fall/winter flower until I inspected the plant further. After cutting back the leaves, the plant is growing 5 new pitchers and three flowers coming out of the growing point. This plant has always been one of the first to flower and open but never this early. I went outside and checked on some others and found flowers on a purp purp, minor var. okee, and some Oreos. Looking at several others, the winter bud(what I call the sack that opens in spring where new leaves and flowers are) is starting to open. Is there anything I should do for them? I am keeping them outside now, hoping the colder weather will slow down the flower growth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By Arizona Flytrap
Hello, I would no be to concerned about it. I grow many Sarracenia in the Phoenix area and sometimes they will start putting out a flower stalk. I usually just cut it off. If it's putting up some leaves, well, it knows what it wants or needs to do for its own growth. Just make sure it's in a full sun location and keep the soil moist. Your climate I would think is more Mediterranean so the plant is just responding as such. I would think in January it will close up for a month or two which is really all it needs. I have found it best to let them be as much as possible.

Good Growing,
Jason
Apache Junction, AZ
How quick do VFT roots grow?

Plant and other than watering, forget about it. Mi[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

If only more people knew

Good points!

they are back outside https://i.imgur.com/mW2klN[…]

took my neps outside, look at that moss! https:/[…]

+ bulk means that in addition to already-made pack[…]

Ah. I can find him on social media? He is on F[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1649. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!