FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By Diamond Mirror
Posts:  18
Joined:  Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
#312697
I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#312698
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
They grow wild in Wilmington NC. The weather is zone 8 in the USA. They don't like extreme heat, like mid-day sun. And they tolerate some freezing but prefer to not freeze. If it's super hot they require more water

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Diamond Mirror
Posts:  18
Joined:  Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
#312732
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
They grow wild in Wilmington NC. The weather is zone 8 in the USA. They don't like extreme heat, like mid-day sun. And they tolerate some freezing but prefer to not freeze. If it's super hot they require more water

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
So what's the conclusion

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#312733
Diamond Mirror wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
They grow wild in Wilmington NC. The weather is zone 8 in the USA. They don't like extreme heat, like mid-day sun. And they tolerate some freezing but prefer to not freeze. If it's super hot they require more water

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
So what's the conclusion

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
Where is here? And they Bloom in 115F in the USA. So I don't know what to tell you.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
Posts:  556
Joined:  Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:32 am
#312752
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?
The question is really not that simple but... vfts prefer heat over cold.
User avatar
By xr280xr
Posts:  2806
Joined:  Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 pm
#312761
Huntsmanshorn wrote:The question is really not that simple but... vfts prefer heat over cold.
On average and for their growth season, yes, they like to be warm but not hot. But given that they require cold several months per year in order to stay alive, we can't say prefer one or the other. They need both.
By mouthstofeed
Posts:  468
Joined:  Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 am
#312770
They love the warm part of the year and grow their most during this peak season. They will also die during the cold part of the year, if you don't take care of them by keeping them too wet or not bringing them inside. All in all I'd say they are warm weather plants, with the caveat that they need a period of dormancy during the cool months.
User avatar
By xr280xr
Posts:  2806
Joined:  Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 pm
#312773
mouthstofeed wrote:They love the warm part of the year and grow their most during this peak season. They will also die during the cold part of the year, if you don't take care of them by keeping them too wet or not bringing them inside. All in all I'd say they are warm weather plants, with the caveat that they need a period of dormancy during the cool months.
Any cultivated plant will die if mis-cared for at any time of year. Flytraps don't cease to be plants in the winter. We might not enjoy looking at them in the winter, but they are perfectly healthy and happy during that season. "Warm weather plants" implies tropical (or desert) to me. Venus Flytraps are from a temperate (borderline sub-tropic) region.
By Huntsmanshorn
Posts:  556
Joined:  Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:32 am
#312776
Diamond Mirror wrote: is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?
As has been asked before, where do you live? Not the street you live on or anything, just narrow it down to a city or even a country or at least tell us what your temperatures are like in the Summer and Winter. I mean, how do we know if temps are the problem if we don't know what the temps even are?!
By KategoricalKarnivore
Posts:  1725
Joined:  Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:00 pm
#312801
Flytraps prefer a temperate climate, like where they live. Hotnin summer cold in winter.
By riveraXVX
Posts:  1098
Joined:  Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 am
#312846
fluffy123 wrote:They prefer cold climates.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no. not even remotely true. this is like 3 posts in a row on different threads I've read from you giving false or bad information. read more
Good morning

This isn’t at my house and I took it a month[…]

Cape Sundew Death???

Many thanks for the advice. I had a closer look a[…]

New species donated

I actually received these a couple of days ago, bu[…]

Something like this. It is for t5 tubes but I'm su[…]

I want to confirm with you that the SASE was sent […]

I heard something like that on YouTube about the s[…]

Howdy

Screenshot_2020-08-05-22-47-12.png This is weir[…]

Species guessing game

Sorry that's not it

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!