FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Diamond Mirror
I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

They grow wild in Wilmington NC. The weather is zone 8 in the USA. They don't like extreme heat, like mid-day sun. And they tolerate some freezing but prefer to not freeze. If it's super hot they require more water

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Diamond Mirror
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed that some plants thrive more in hot or cold climates and for some reason carnivorous plants don't bloom here, is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?

They grow wild in Wilmington NC. The weather is zone 8 in the USA. They don't like extreme heat, like mid-day sun. And they tolerate some freezing but prefer to not freeze. If it's super hot they require more water

So what's the conclusion

By FlyTrap Hunter
Diamond Mirror wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:

So what's the conclusion

Where is here? And they Bloom in 115F in the USA. So I don't know what to tell you.

By Huntsmanshorn
The question is really not that simple but... vfts prefer heat over cold.
By xr280xr
Huntsmanshorn wrote:The question is really not that simple but... vfts prefer heat over cold.
On average and for their growth season, yes, they like to be warm but not hot. But given that they require cold several months per year in order to stay alive, we can't say prefer one or the other. They need both.
By mouthstofeed
They love the warm part of the year and grow their most during this peak season. They will also die during the cold part of the year, if you don't take care of them by keeping them too wet or not bringing them inside. All in all I'd say they are warm weather plants, with the caveat that they need a period of dormancy during the cool months.
By xr280xr
mouthstofeed wrote:They love the warm part of the year and grow their most during this peak season. They will also die during the cold part of the year, if you don't take care of them by keeping them too wet or not bringing them inside. All in all I'd say they are warm weather plants, with the caveat that they need a period of dormancy during the cool months.
Any cultivated plant will die if mis-cared for at any time of year. Flytraps don't cease to be plants in the winter. We might not enjoy looking at them in the winter, but they are perfectly healthy and happy during that season. "Warm weather plants" implies tropical (or desert) to me. Venus Flytraps are from a temperate (borderline sub-tropic) region.
By Huntsmanshorn
Diamond Mirror wrote: is it mainly because of the temperature or something is wrong with my plants?
As has been asked before, where do you live? Not the street you live on or anything, just narrow it down to a city or even a country or at least tell us what your temperatures are like in the Summer and Winter. I mean, how do we know if temps are the problem if we don't know what the temps even are?!
By KategoricalKarnivore
Flytraps prefer a temperate climate, like where they live. Hotnin summer cold in winter.
By riveraXVX
fluffy123 wrote:They prefer cold climates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no. not even remotely true. this is like 3 posts in a row on different threads I've read from you giving false or bad information. read more

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!