FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By KDH
My VFT's new growth is looking limey and washed out. Is this normal as the new trap opens?
By KDH
Here is my light green VFT
Here is my light green VFT
IMG_20190804_143425.jpg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 3854 times
By ChefDean
How long have you had it? And how long has it been outside exclusively?
Many cp's tend to go downhill briefly if just abrubtly thrust outside without acclimating them to it. If it is a new resident of the outdoors, it may continue with a slight decline before bouncing back.
My own experience; I had three hardware store rescues that I kept indoors on a very sunny windowsill. They did very well, mostly because I kept them well fed, but I eventually did move them outside. All three went downhill, the smallest one died completely, the other two bounced back after a couple of weeks. One now has one new division, the other has three divisions.
If it's new to you and/or new to the outside, it should be OK in time.
By optique
ok color is fine. but i got some questions =)
#1 how long have you had it?
#2 was it shaded where you got it?
#3 that media looks like peat/perlite?
#4 you know about watering it with mineral free or very low mineral content water?
#5 where are you? like if in US what state or if outside US what climate are u in?
By KDH
I bought it a little more than a month ago from a grocery store.qithin a week I flushed the soil pus transplanted it into a Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite mixture. I've been watering with distilled water. Most of the original traps were damaged during the sun light acclimation so they were sniped off. I also sniped off what looked like a flower stalk. I live in Pennsylvania
By optique
sounds like everything is fine. keep it in full sun and next spring it will be like a different plant. Just takes some time to recover from how it was being cared for at that store. I got one from lowes this spring and i did not acclimate mine at all and its well on its road to recovery after burning all growth.

after the burn

now (beat up from 5 inches of rain this week end)
By KDH
Ok thanks. Any advice on the dormancy period? We never know what to expect from our winters here in PA. I'm a bit nervous about what temperature I can keep them at over that period
By optique
leave it where it is till it goes dormant then move it some where more protected. remember its prolonged 20's + air flow that causes frost burn damage, so you might have some time after it gets cold. some where still cold but not in the 20's for days like a unheated building.(even if it just gets up to 30's during the day you are good) but remember they do store energy they build over winter so more light they get the more they explode in spring.

I might have to protect my plants for a week ever so many years but u are way north of me so i am guessing it will be a period of time every winter for you. just make sure they stay below 50f most of the time why you are sheltering.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!