FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By KDH
Have you ever heard of watering with an ice cube 2-3 times a week if there's trouble staying below 50 degrees during dormancy?
By optique
I have no experience with such things. Its ideal where I live for North American CP's even my tap water is safe. But if you read some post here you will find people are doing all sorts of things like that, from covering with pine needles to putting them in the refrigerator. I am sure by the end of the day one of the more northern growers can suggest some things
By Fieldofscreams
I'm in zone 5a/b.

I leave mine outside until temps stay around 32f. Once that happens I put them in my unheated insulated garage. Through winter they experience average temps from 20f up to 40f. They freeze solid often, so far haven't lost one yet.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Artchic528
I just leave mine out year round and repot in the early spring. Living in the Piedmont of North Carolina has it's benefits.
By KDH
Should they be repotted every year?
Last edited by KDH on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By optique
Venus Fly Traps respond well to being repotted once a year. The media can get old and compacted making it hard for the roots of the plant to grow. Repotting will assure that the media stays fresh and aerated.

The best time to repot your Venus Fly Trap is in the early spring time just as it is coming out of dormancy. The only time to actively avoid repotting a plant is when it is flowering. However, Venus Fly Traps don’t seem to mind being uprooted at any time during the year and usually resume growth within a few days of being repotted.

If you just got a plant from the store, I would recommend repotting it as soon as possible. Usually plants in stores aren’t cared for properly and are watered with impure water. These impurities will stay in the media. They might be able to be flushed out with a heavy watering, but it is just easier to mix new media and repot.

pasted from https://www.flytrapcare.com =)

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!