FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tish
zk9 wrote:Hi guys, from Singapore here, tropical climate with a lot of sun/rain all year round. I'm preparing my plant for it's first dormancy now, less light, less watering.

Even though new traps are still growing well, i've been told that it can still go dormant now.

Here's my question, i've read that it's recommended not to put smaller plants to dormancy. I noticed last week that I might have 2 bulbs living in a pot. One producing larger traps and one with tiny ones. Do i separate them or just put the whole plant in a ziploc into the fridge? Planning to do so in about a week. Thanks guys!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415333753.239093.jpg

Hi, I'm from Singapore too, good luck with dormancy :)
By Engimal
I have a question. I read that Venus Fly Traps can be kept outdoors permanently in -5 Celsius during dormancy. Where I live, it doesn't often get below that, however we often have frosts of a morning and the soil is very hard and the leaves have frost on them. The plant looks fine, but this feels wrong. What should I be doing during this dormancy period? The days usually range from about -1 to 15 Celsius here, for some context.
By tommyr
Engimal wrote:I have a question. I read that Venus Fly Traps can be kept outdoors permanently in -5 Celsius during dormancy. Where I live, it doesn't often get below that, however we often have frosts of a morning and the soil is very hard and the leaves have frost on them. The plant looks fine, but this feels wrong. What should I be doing during this dormancy period? The days usually range from about -1 to 15 Celsius here, for some context.

Probably just a thick layer of mulch over them would do the trick.
By Matt
Engimal wrote:I have a question. I read that Venus Fly Traps can be kept outdoors permanently in -5 Celsius during dormancy. Where I live, it doesn't often get below that, however we often have frosts of a morning and the soil is very hard and the leaves have frost on them. The plant looks fine, but this feels wrong. What should I be doing during this dormancy period? The days usually range from about -1 to 15 Celsius here, for some context.
Best to keep flytraps from freezing, especially if they're growing in small pots.

You could keep your flytrap outdoors most of the time, but move it indoors when there is a chance of freeze or frost.
By KateD269
Hi, I live in Michigan and am trying to figure out how to get my flytraps to go dormant. I have large windows in my garage and thought this might be a good place to put them. But of course the garage is going to get to cold. We have heated water buckets for our horses and I thought that I could fill one with dirt and plant the flytraps ( they will stay in their pots) and plug in the bucket. My thought is that it would keep the roots from freezing, but I don't know what to do about the traps themselves. Can I cover them with a gauze cloth. The cloth would still let some light in. What are your thoughts on this. Thank you, Kate
By Matt
KateD269 wrote:I have large windows in my garage and thought this might be a good place to put them. But of course the garage is going to get to cold.
That sounds ideal if you can keep the garage above freezing. Can you run a heater to keep it above 32F?
By Roachant
Hi all,
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just thought I'd chime in on my hibernation experience. During hibernation I have always placed my plants in my garage window where for a few months the plants freeze solid. The first time this happened I freaked out and thought I killed my plants but they all came back. I have had one particular plant for over 5 years and so far so good. Is this normal or am I tempting fate here?
And when I say freeze solid I mean the substrate is literally a frozen block.
By Matt
Flytraps can withstand freezing. There are risks in allowing them to freeze though, the largest one being dehydration. When frozen they can't transport water. So if it's dry and windy they can quickly die. In a garage or greenhouse setting that's not really an issue. And there is a temperature at which they will die. In general it's best not to let them freeze.
By Earthy
question: what temps would be a sign to bring the plants inside to the cool windowsill? I plan on leaving them outside till I can't anymore, but what temps would be fine to leave them outside in at night (I have one of those 4-shelf greenhouses I put them in at night)? as long as it's above freezing? I don't want to "screw" this dormancy up like I think I kinda did last year temp-wise :-/
By tommyr
Earthy wrote:question: what temps would be a sign to bring the plants inside to the cool windowsill? I plan on leaving them outside till I can't anymore, but what temps would be fine to leave them outside in at night (I have one of those 4-shelf greenhouses I put them in at night)? as long as it's above freezing? I don't want to "screw" this dormancy up like I think I kinda did last year temp-wise :-/
Mine go in the fridge when night time temps stay down in the low 40's F..
By Artchic528
I live in Charlotte, NC and since it's in the same hardiness zone (not to mention the same state) that the vtf and sarr grows in naturally, I can leave them out year round, right?

I just worry about them being in pots and freezing solid as opposed to the ground which does not. I had a sarrcinia in a planter and it did fine being outside year round. Guess I just want to have all bases covered for the vtf as well as I am bound to keep it alive this time through.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!