FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By clintontaylor1
Hello,

I wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to leave the fly trap outside here in western central Oregon? I have read all of the information and I am in a hardness zone of 8 to 9, so no worries there. I am concerned about the amount of rain we get during the winter though. Should I keep it on the porch and out of the rain? Or just leave it out in the garden? The fly trap is in a Coconut/Perlight mix and holds onto water pretty well.
By tommyr
clintontaylor1 wrote:Hello,

I wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to leave the fly trap outside here in western central Oregon? I have read all of the information and I am in a hardness zone of 8 to 9, so no worries there. I am concerned about the amount of rain we get during the winter though. Should I keep it on the porch and out of the rain? Or just leave it out in the garden? The fly trap is in a Coconut/Perlight mix and holds onto water pretty well.
I would think as long as the water tray stays around 1" in water depth or below the rhizome it should be fine.
By Hydrosimian
Good information. I was worried about whether I should put my tiny dente plant into dormancy, but now I'm thinking I should wait and do it next year when it's bigger.
By Hydrosimian
Does anyone have any tips for how I should go about setting my plants up for dormancy? I've got 3 mature typicals and one very small dente in one pot that's a little over a foot in diameter and about 6 inches deep. I've currently got them in a hanger in my south facing window where they receive full sun from sunup to sundown. I'm kinda worried about getting them ready for dormancy this winter. I live in the Seattle area which is about an 8 hardness if I remember correctly. I don't really have anywhere covered outside that I could put them and I don't want to lose them all over the winter. My front doorstep is the most covered area and it's in the perfect position to be blasted by the winter windstorms.
I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!
By tommyr
Hydrosimian wrote:Does anyone have any tips for how I should go about setting my plants up for dormancy? I've got 3 mature typicals and one very small dente in one pot that's a little over a foot in diameter and about 6 inches deep. I've currently got them in a hanger in my south facing window where they receive full sun from sunup to sundown. I'm kinda worried about getting them ready for dormancy this winter. I live in the Seattle area which is about an 8 hardness if I remember correctly. I don't really have anywhere covered outside that I could put them and I don't want to lose them all over the winter. My front doorstep is the most covered area and it's in the perfect position to be blasted by the winter windstorms.
I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!
You're in 8b according to online sources (Google is your friend!). You should be able to leave them outdoors all winter. Corrections welcomed.
tommyr liked this
By Matt
The weather is Seattle is pretty mild, but very wet during the winter, so if they were in a greenhouse setting, they'd probably do fine outdoors. But if they are in an exposed area, they'll likely succumb to rot from being cold and wet all winter.

If they are doing well in your south-facing window, they could probably be left there all winter. If it looks like they aren't getting enough sun, you could move them outdoors during the days when it's not raining.
Matt liked this
By dulunhuang
Sorry, but it would be great helpful if you could upload the pictures of 1st page again. Really learning from your article. Appreciate.
By vladanik
Hi, i bought a VFT which was produced in tissue culture this autumn, should I put it into dormancy this winter, or can it safely skip the first winter?
By larkinged
When plants are in the greenhouse or carport where it's 0°C-10°C...can I put those plants inside(kitchen) when it gets colder?
Will the dormant plants survive the temperature shock? (0-10°C => 21°C)
By Jhereg
Hi!

I've got a n00b question. I've just purchased a flytrap from a hardware store and it's the end of February. Can anyone please tell me: is this flytrap dormant, or not?

It has little new growth. The leaves seem to be "summer"-type. The trap action is quite fast. There was only one dead trap when I bought it, and I cut it off. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't want to force it out of dormancy by accident.

Also I do plan to repot in something more appropriate, I'm waiting on the soil to arrive.
By tommyr
Jhereg wrote:Hi!

I've got a n00b question. I've just purchased a flytrap from a hardware store and it's the end of February. Can anyone please tell me: is this flytrap dormant, or not?

It has little new growth. The leaves seem to be "summer"-type. The trap action is quite fast. There was only one dead trap when I bought it, and I cut it off. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't want to force it out of dormancy by accident.

Also I do plan to repot in something more appropriate, I'm waiting on the soil to arrive.
It's not dormant. Next year give it dormancy. Keep it in a show water tray (distilled, R/O or rainwater only) and give it as much sun as you can until it can go outside in the spring.
tommyr liked this
By Jhereg
tommyr wrote: It's not dormant. Next year give it dormancy. Keep it in a show water tray (distilled, R/O or rainwater only) and give it as much sun as you can until it can go outside in the spring.
Thank you!
I travel for a living so unfortunately this guy will not see much outdoor time. But at least he will get lots of sunlight from my window, and I'll bring him bugs.
By PocketPirate
So, I live in south Florida and have left my G16 and DCXL purely outside since I received them back in May 2015. I did some research on here and saw that it was acceptable to leave them outside during winter and they will automatically go into dormancy as the days get shorter.

I did that, and they flourished through summer and fall getting as much sun as possible, but when winter came, I didn't really see them go dormant as I was expecting. I was prepared to see them lose a lot of leaves and appear to be "dying", but they never did-- they stayed quite numerous and the only thing that changed was that they were simply just putting out more small, tiny traps that were all lower to the ground.

This is a picture I took just today, but they've looked like this all winter:

There's no way that's dormancy right?? The 'winter' temps down here have barely ever got below 60 (maybe ONE or two days it was in the 50s). Usually it's stayed in the mid 60s to mid 70s.

Will they be okay if they skipped dormancy this year? And I plan to repot them in May...should I try to use the fridge method to trigger their dormancy for next winter?
By Nathanation11
I think your temperature is a bit too high. If they dont go dormant next year (they can skip a year) then i recommend the refridgerator method.
By Matt
PocketPirate wrote:There's no way that's dormancy right??
Yes, they look dormant to me. I don't think that there's anywhere in the continental US where flytraps won't go dormant during the winter months. In the lower latitudes, like Florida and Texas, they just don't go as dormant. But they still get plenty of rest to grow normally.
Matt liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!