FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all. I was cleaning out some sundew water trays a couple of days ago and noticed some floating clumps of what I thought was dust. This morning the clumps are back and are actually tiny bugs (~1-2mm length) that tend to gather in small groups. If I stir them up they swim back into a group again. I never really noticed these critters before so they've likely been around for a while, and seem harmless. Has anyone seen anything similar and should I be concerned? Thanks for all advice!
0223241208.jpg
0223241208.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 365 times
By ChefDean
Could be spring tails. I've noticed that they tend to congregate together if they jump into the water, so they're likely harmless.
Gary liked this
By Gary
They have tiny perpendicular legs that they use to dart around on the water surface, and they move really fast. Thanks, ChefDean!
By Bennettrand
Those little bugs sound like they could be springtails, pretty common in moist environments like sundew trays. I had a similar freak-out once when I found them in my indoor plants. Turns out, they're harmless and actually help with decomposition.
Gary liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!