FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By carnivorous1123
if my trap turns black and dies i have picked up you have to cut it off? is this right? also i would like to know (if that is true) which part to cut e.g. just before the black dead part, the whole stem or just below the dead part. my trap is not quite black yet but is not closing and very stiff and discoloured.
By tc3driver
Most find it better to just cut off the black or brown parts, as the green parts still provide the plant energy.
tc3driver, tc3driver liked this
By 95slvrZ28
You don't have to clean up the dead traps, many people choose to because it makes the plant look nicer. Like tc3driver said, don't cut off anything that's green as it can still be helpful to the plant. I usually don't pick off any leaves until the entire trap/leaf has died off.
95slvrZ28 liked this
By heathenpriest
Same here. I never trim off anything that isn't black, but I might take off the black half of a leaf and leave the rest if it's still green, or remove the trap but leave the leaf, etc.
Also, it's probably best to cut the black stuff off with scissors, instead of pulling it. Sometimes even a totally black leaf can still be attached to the rhizome so firmly that you could actually uproot the plant by pulling on it.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!