FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
So for a new year let's have a new topic. There are many of us that grow more than just carnivorous plants. This month we want to see photos of your best non-carnivorous plants. Succulents, cacti, bonsai, vegetables, whatever!

And as always, here are the submission rules:
1. It must be your own picture
2. You can only submit one photo for this contest
3. Pictures shared in previous contests are not eligible
4. The winner will be the entry with the highest number of thumbs up votes
5. This contest is open internationally, although there will be an alternate prizes for international winners

This month, @Matt and Leah from The Flytrap Store are providing a G16 Venus Flytrap

From The Flytrap Store:
Also known as "Slack's Giant", G16 is a giant Venus flytrap clone with excellent deep red coloration on the interior of the traps, and nice upright growth. An absolute stunner of a plant! Late in the year this flytrap always draws our eyes to it with the excellent coloration and extremely large traps. One of our favorite flytraps here at the FlytrapStore, G16 is highly recommended for any flytrap collection! Seasonal note: G16 develops its coloration variably, and more obviously during the active growing season as the summer progresses. Fun to watch!
You will want to add this one to your collection! So bring out the pictures of you favorite, non-meat eating plants.
Shadowtski liked this
By Supercazzola
154-5456_IMG.JPG
154-5456_IMG.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4509 times
This is called mimosa, and was grown outside of our apartment in southern Italy. It is a type of Acacia, although I am not sure of the specific type. On March 8, the International Women's Day, these flowers are given to women - mother, girlfriend, daughter, etc...

The tree has since died, so if it doesn't qualify, please let me know and I will submit another entry.
Panman, ChefDean, A Fellow Scientist and 3 others liked this
By ChefDean
I'm jumping in on this one. However, if I win, I'll defer to second place as I already have a very robust G16
FB_IMG_1641262665734.jpg
FB_IMG_1641262665734.jpg (90.75 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Kind of a busy pic, but the butterfly garden I created for my wife with multiple flowering plants to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Also has multiple species of milkweed specifically for Monarch caterpillars to feed on (so I guess I grow Monarchs too). The banana trees are all mine, I cook some killer Kalua Pork with the leaves. :D
By DragonsEye
A very tough choice -- having as I do VERY eclectic tastes (and as a result more plants than any semi-intelligent person should have in an apt). By way of something a bit different....
Ceropegia full flower side view B.JPG
Ceropegia full flower side view B.JPG (525.79 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
Ceropegia cf radicans ssp smithii -- The blooms of this genus are typically quite bizarre looking. Some are referred to as "parachute" flowers because of the flower shape. Pity could only submit one photo. The flower is so dimensional, one really can't catch it all from one angle. There are 5 openings/archways into the flower. (Only 3 are visible at this angle.) At the very top of the flower, you can just make out some white w/ purple striped cilia that will twitch in the slightest breeze.
Panman, ChefDean, coorain and 3 others liked this
By DragonsEye
Ah, but Chef, tis missing the cardinal climber vines. Twould make quite a fetching backdrop along the fence. :mrgreen:
By ChefDean
DragonsEye wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:28 am Ah, but Chef, tis missing the cardinal climber vines. Twould make quite a fetching backdrop along the fence. :mrgreen:
Yes it would have, but that thing went off the chain quickly. It actually attracted frogs of all things, probably due to all the hiding places for bugs.
I'm actually surprised that there weren't any of volunteers from seeds that had to drop behind the fence.
By Shadowtski
Here is a Passiflora incarnata, aka Passion Flower.
A tropical plant surviving outside in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for over 30 years.
Passiflora.jpg
Passiflora.jpg (173.96 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
Panman, ChefDean, A Fellow Scientist and 8 others liked this
By evenwind
Aloe parvula. For once, I think the soft focus actually adds to the image...
aloe-parvula-a.jpg
aloe-parvula-a.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
Panman, ChefDean, Adelae and 5 others liked this
By Panman
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:44 pm Evenwind, you have to show us the actual plant too. Not just the flowers :). If you want some pollen, I may have some Aloe arborescens.
Just the flower is fine.
thepitchergrower, Dan V liked this
The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!