FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By oval
Posts:  270
Joined:  Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm
#373923
This opened this past week - the biggest pitcher any of my plants have ever had. It also has the longest tendril at about a foot long. It probably would have been longer but I put a cup under it so it wouldn't extend down to the next shelf. This N. rafflesiana was almost dead a few years ago.
Attachments:
100_1355.JPG
100_1355.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 455 times
Panman, Apollyon, ChefDean and 6 others liked this
User avatar
By That one plant boi
Posts:  425
Joined:  Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm
#373924
Beautiful raff! I also recently had the pleasure of experiencing my first large rafflesiana pitcher.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Benny
Location: 
Posts:  508
Joined:  Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:46 pm
#373928
You guys all take so much better care of your nepenthes than me. I abuse mine horribly!

Congrats on the pitcher!
By camsdad66
Posts:  279
Joined:  Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm
#373965
Verrrryy nice pitcher on that Raff, oval! Looks like you're growing it in a greenhouse, maybe? Can you please tell me a little more about your growing conditions?? And how did you get it back from "near death"?? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By oval
Posts:  270
Joined:  Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm
#374005
camsdad66 wrote:Verrrryy nice pitcher on that Raff, oval! Looks like you're growing it in a greenhouse, maybe? Can you please tell me a little more about your growing conditions?? And how did you get it back from "near death"?? Thanks.
Yes, it's just one of those cheap 4-tier greenhouses I keep indoors in a south window. I have a tray of water on the bottom shelf and it stays humid. For years it was in a smaller enclosure I fashioned out of those clear plastic storage containers. It did pretty well, but eventually I neglected it. One day a couple of years ago when it stopped pitchering I looked in and saw that the weight of the plant had pulled the roots out of the pot - it was surviving on the humidity alone. The media was so deteriorated that the roots system was probably suffocating. I just repotted into new mix in a slightly bigger pot and stuck it in that new greenhouse and it seems to be enjoying it.
Nepenthes0260 wrote:That's a nice rafflesiana. What clone? Reminds me of the Borneo Exotics ones.
I got it from Lee's Botanical Gardens about twenty years ago.
Benny wrote:You guys all take so much better care of your nepenthes than me. I abuse mine horribly!
I think my plants would agree with you that I do the same, but I am slowly learning!
That one plant boi wrote:Beautiful raff! I also recently had the pleasure of experiencing my first large rafflesiana pitcher.
Raffesiana are definitely one of my favorites. With each new larger pitcher it amazes me anew.
Benny liked this
By camsdad66
Posts:  279
Joined:  Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm
#374009
"I got it from Lee's Botanical Gardens about twenty years ago."

Holy Moly! Awesome that you have had the plant that long!! You must be doing something right! And you got it from Lee's Botanical?? I've been dealing with them since the early 90s, ordered some of my first CPs (as an adult) from them!
Here's a few photos from late summer of my Raff when it was outside and liking it. Had to bring it indoors because of the cold, of course! Only been having mine a few years. Thanks for the info, oval!
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
By oval
Posts:  270
Joined:  Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm
#374134
camsdad66 wrote:Holy Moly! Awesome that you have had the plant that long!! You must be doing something right! And you got it from Lee's Botanical?? I've been dealing with them since the early 90s, ordered some of my first CPs (as an adult) from them!
Here's a few photos from late summer of my Raff when it was outside and liking it. Had to bring it indoors because of the cold, of course! Only been having mine a few years. Thanks for the info, oval!
Wow, it's possible our Raffs are siblings!
By camsdad66
Posts:  279
Joined:  Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm
#374156
Beautiful! Love those big frilly "wings"!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Insane Growth

Yes, got this starter G16 from FTS in June. By Dec[…]

Yep, damn computer got me again. I punished it by[…]

Rate my sundew terrarium

Like it , crafty imagination on build & visual[…]

Simple Drosera Setup

Healthy looking plants with great colors

Ready to grow!

Finally got around to taking the temperate CP's ou[…]

Personal space

Surprisingly enough, this dude is usually climbing[…]

Music

I enjoy country and some pop and dislike rap. (Fut[…]

My Floppy Spring Pitcher

Its 100% hydrated, I keep it in a tray of water at[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!