FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By oval
This opened this past week - the biggest pitcher any of my plants have ever had. It also has the longest tendril at about a foot long. It probably would have been longer but I put a cup under it so it wouldn't extend down to the next shelf. This N. rafflesiana was almost dead a few years ago.
Attachments:
100_1355.JPG
100_1355.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3404 times
Panman, Apollyon, ChefDean and 6 others liked this
By That one plant boi
Beautiful raff! I also recently had the pleasure of experiencing my first large rafflesiana pitcher.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Benny
You guys all take so much better care of your nepenthes than me. I abuse mine horribly!

Congrats on the pitcher!
By camsdad66
Verrrryy nice pitcher on that Raff, oval! Looks like you're growing it in a greenhouse, maybe? Can you please tell me a little more about your growing conditions?? And how did you get it back from "near death"?? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By oval
camsdad66 wrote:Verrrryy nice pitcher on that Raff, oval! Looks like you're growing it in a greenhouse, maybe? Can you please tell me a little more about your growing conditions?? And how did you get it back from "near death"?? Thanks.
Yes, it's just one of those cheap 4-tier greenhouses I keep indoors in a south window. I have a tray of water on the bottom shelf and it stays humid. For years it was in a smaller enclosure I fashioned out of those clear plastic storage containers. It did pretty well, but eventually I neglected it. One day a couple of years ago when it stopped pitchering I looked in and saw that the weight of the plant had pulled the roots out of the pot - it was surviving on the humidity alone. The media was so deteriorated that the roots system was probably suffocating. I just repotted into new mix in a slightly bigger pot and stuck it in that new greenhouse and it seems to be enjoying it.
Nepenthes0260 wrote:That's a nice rafflesiana. What clone? Reminds me of the Borneo Exotics ones.
I got it from Lee's Botanical Gardens about twenty years ago.
Benny wrote:You guys all take so much better care of your nepenthes than me. I abuse mine horribly!
I think my plants would agree with you that I do the same, but I am slowly learning!
That one plant boi wrote:Beautiful raff! I also recently had the pleasure of experiencing my first large rafflesiana pitcher.
Raffesiana are definitely one of my favorites. With each new larger pitcher it amazes me anew.
Benny liked this
By camsdad66
"I got it from Lee's Botanical Gardens about twenty years ago."

Holy Moly! Awesome that you have had the plant that long!! You must be doing something right! And you got it from Lee's Botanical?? I've been dealing with them since the early 90s, ordered some of my first CPs (as an adult) from them!
Here's a few photos from late summer of my Raff when it was outside and liking it. Had to bring it indoors because of the cold, of course! Only been having mine a few years. Thanks for the info, oval!
ImageImageImage

By oval
camsdad66 wrote:Holy Moly! Awesome that you have had the plant that long!! You must be doing something right! And you got it from Lee's Botanical?? I've been dealing with them since the early 90s, ordered some of my first CPs (as an adult) from them!
Here's a few photos from late summer of my Raff when it was outside and liking it. Had to bring it indoors because of the cold, of course! Only been having mine a few years. Thanks for the info, oval!
Wow, it's possible our Raffs are siblings!
By camsdad66
Beautiful! Love those big frilly "wings"!

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!