FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
Here are some updated photos of some of my plantlets. My Sawtooth VFT stalk seems to be showing the slowest growth...

Dingley Giant (Now has traps):

Sawtooth:

Pink Venus:
By Matt
Thanks for the update Jason. The cultures are looking great!

How's that Cupped Trap tissue that I sent you doing?

I'll post some updated photos of my Jaws and Red Piranha cultures soon. I also have been able to get a few others starting to form plantlets including Petite Dragon, Fang, and Royal Red! The tops of the flower stalks are treating me very well.
By jkochuni
The cupped trap is growing great! That is excellent news about the cultures you have going. I will have to start TCing more of the flower stalk tops. :)
By mkburleson
Congrads. Looking really good. How long have you been doing TC with the flower stalks?

Mary :)
By kevinqwe
hope it grows healthy!
By jkochuni
Matt wrote:
jkochuni wrote:My Sawtooth VFT stalk seems to be showing the slowest growth...
Just looked at the photo of it again and I noticed that the media underneath the tissue is browning a bit. It may benefit from a replate.

You are probably right, but I'm just afraid that I might disturb it doing so. Have you had any negative effects by doing so? I just looked at the Cupped Trap tissue, and it is putting out some new traps with no signs of contamination. :)

Mary- I'm new to tissue culturing VFTs, but with all the help from this website and Matt I am making good progress. These have been in culture for about two months now.
By Matt
jkochuni wrote:You are probably right, but I'm just afraid that I might disturb it doing so. Have you had any negative effects by doing so?
I've always been surprised at how quickly the tissue responds to replates. Every time I do a replate, I've very happy that I did. Usually it starts putting out new growth almost immediately. I usually only leave cultures on the same media for 4 to 5 weeks and then I do a replate. If the media is turning yellow or brown, I do it sooner.
jkochuni wrote:I just looked at the Cupped Trap tissue, and it is putting out some new traps with no signs of contamination. :)
That's great! Sounds like it made it there without any contamination. If it had gotten contaminated, it probably would be showing by now. Looks like we've got a decent way to send cultures back and forth!
By jkochuni
Maybe I should replate it?? I would just hate to see something happen to the culture. :?
By Matt
With your LFH, your chances of contamination are almost none. As long as you don't mess up when you make the media, it should be safe to replate it and I'd bet some money that it would respond with more vigorous growth. How long has it been on the same media?
By jkochuni
Matt wrote:How long has it been on the same media?
It has been on the same media for about two months, I think?? I will replate it this week. :?
By jkochuni
Thanks, and I will let you know how it goes.
By jkochuni
Matt- I just replated the Sawtooth this evening, so hopefully it was not contaminated. I also replated my Yellow which definitely has a callus growing on it.

On a side note: It appears two out of the seven Bohemian garnet stalks might be dying. Hopefully this is not a trend. :(

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!