FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By Jaws
Ive had mental illness for 20 years (not caused by drugs), but ive been in hospital with plenty whos heads have been wrecked from it, so all this that its harmless etc talk is bs.

Thats me on the subject.
By SFLguy
Jaws wrote:Ive had mental illness for 20 years (not caused by drugs), but ive been in hospital with plenty whos heads have been wrecked from it, so all this that its harmless etc talk is bs.

Thats me on the subject.
Oh drugs definitely have an enormous potential to be very harmful, everything from opiates to stimulants to depressants can seriously mess you up, marijuana? Not so much
Last edited by SFLguy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sbrooks
Roarke, I agree this is not the forum for such a discussion. But are you surprised that suggesting a ban of the subject has only spurned more talk about it? After all, it is a popular and controversial subject.
Now, if someone searches for it on this site, they'll find all sorts of arguments for and against it, thanks to this thread. Maybe you should have ran it by Matt in a PM first.
By Matt
I've been watching this thread and will moderate it if needed. I understand that it's a controversial and heated subject, but I tend to agree that stifling a conversation about a subject isn't the best way to educate. Marijuana has just become legal in my home state of Oregon. It's legal in several states now. And while this probably isn't the most appropriate place to have such a discussion, I don't see any reason to ban discussion about a legal substance. If someone started a thread about beer, I'd definitely be posting to it! :D

And so far everyone is posting in a way that is respectful (unless I missed something?), just expressing their opinion and supporting their discussion with sources. If it does get unpleasant in any way, I'll step in and do something, but for now people are behaving appropriately.
Matt, Matt, Matt and 1 others liked this
By Jaws
Not legal in England and hopefully thats how it will stay.
The smell of it is enough for it to stay illegal on its own imo.

SFLguy i have been a patient at the time of the other patients i have spoken about and that vile weed is what caused their problems.

I get the feeling that general stance is one of pro weed on here, so im not going to bother writing anything else.
Im so glad we arent so easy to make things legal here in England.
By SFLguy
Jaws wrote:Not legal in England and hopefully thats how it will stay.

SFLguy i have been a patient at the time of the other patients i have spoken about and that vile weed is what caused their problems.

I get the feeling that general stance is one of pro weed on here, so im not going to bother writing anything else.
It's very possible I have a bias towards weed as I see it helping so many people in the medical field (also have you seen how the number of accidents has dramatically decreased in states where it is legalized? That in itself is impressive). That being said, prior to spewing out information, I like to fact check a bit first. I hadn't done much research in terms of mental health effects, physical effects are mostly positive and I think outweigh the negatives. I found that the main problem with mental health and marijuana is the amount people smoke and their genetic predispositions. People who smoked daily had increased risk of complications, however, this could be said about any drug use including alcohol. People who smoked on weekends had almost the same rates of mental illness as people who didn't. The other problem would be with people that had a genetic predisposition to something such as schizophrenia had a slightly higher risk of developing the disorder/disease with frequent use of marijuana.
When I weigh the medical benefits to the medical downsides, legalizing medical marijuana is definitely something I support. Many drugs in use today in the medical field are more dangerous and are less helpful than marijuana yet no one bats an eye at them. I feel like most of the bad press marijuana gets is from what people associate marijuana with things such as hippies, lower socio-economic levels, and delinquents at school. To that extent, it becomes a subconscious dissociation with those stigmas.
By Benurmanii
Jaws wrote:Not legal in England and hopefully thats how it will stay.

Marijuana basically heighten's whatever emotion you are feeling, and causes your brain to focus on one idea or feeling. So, for those who suffer from depression, weed will only drag them further into it. Studies on multiple test subjects have also shown this to be the case (I don't know if you read National Geographic, a couple months ago they had a whole cover-stroy dedicated to the plant). It is possible that this is where you recieved that anecdotal evidence.
By Jaws
If someone needs something on a regular basis (as in drink/drugs etc) to feel good , whatever it is, they need therapy as there is something lacking or issues in their lives that need treatment.

Im not bothering with this thread anymore, as ive stated i have been around for 20 years on and off the people i describe and i KNOW what im talking about, ive seen it all firsthand.

I am obviously talking about the "If someone needs something on a regular basis" NON medical needs.
Last edited by Jaws on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By SFLguy
Jaws wrote:If someone needs something on a regular basis to feel good , whatever it is, they need therapy as there is something lacking or issues in their lives that need treatment.
I'm not sure in what way you mean that, for people who smoke to get rid of symptoms of other disorders/diseases, marijuana is their treatment. People going through chemo, people with fibromyalgia, people with epilepsy, etc.
Now if you're talking about a psychological addiction to marijuana, then I agree, addiction can cause many problems in someone's life and addiction (to any substance mind you) should be treated seriously and with the help of someone who knows how to help with addiction
By Cleo_13
I live in a dorm building- I smell it on a semi regular basis. I hate the smell, and report it if they're smoking inside, but I'd do that for regular cigarettes too. I actually dislike the smell of tobacco more- and from what I hear it's more addictive. If other people want to smoke anything, and I don't have to smell it, I'm not going to try too hard to stop them as it's not my business.
By katya_dog1
I think anyone who does not smoke cigarettes will agree that they smell awful.
By roarke
Glad that we talk and not flame :). As not to write other thread, i will modify this thread title. But, first. Anyone knows why this days the smell of cigarettes is worse. I don't smoke, but the smell of cigarettes was not bad. Now, many brands (90 % of people where i live use them), maybe all, smell like the burning of a firelighter. A choking smell. Being that the smell of cigarettes is persistent for 20 meters and stay outdoors lingering in the air more, not like in the past, i wonder that the glue-for-extinguish-in bed reason for cigar smell is fake, not how the smokers on the internet tell us. The cigar brands simply doesen't care.
roarke liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!