FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
After banana man posts on this thread http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/and-t ... 19993.html about he wanting to donate plants to the Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden, I immediately knew I had to contact someone about this and setting a donation thread here so we can possibly get members to donate at least one plant/seeds if possible.

After hearing about the 1000+ vft's stolen and other plants I could not believe it how could someone do something like this, specially since I was there saturday for memorial day weekend with walter(member here) and members of the CCPS admiring what Dr. Stanley had left for all of us to see, share and teach people about the importance and uniqueness of these plants which we love so much! :)
This came out the 31 of may:
http://www.wral.com/1-000-venus-flytrap ... /12501712/

This is Dr. Stanley for those who are wondering, he is the one that built and put so much effort in introducing carnivores to the site:
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2 ... /121009978

I contacted Julie Rehder, the daughter of Dr. Stanley and I told her about me and another member wanting to make this thread to help build the garden again with our donations, she was very happy to hear about this and was very grateful that we are doing this.

She then gave me Dan Sheret's info, he is the one who will be taking care of reseeding and replanting the plants in wilmington and the person that will get all the plants from our donations to help repopulate the garden.

Dan Sheret gave me the following information that I would like to share here and hopefully this will encourage members to donate :) :
I received this email from him:
Julie Rehder forwarded forwarded your email to me. And first of all thank you for your concern and your generous help. Right now we are putting everything together and still accessing our losses. We are also expecting our first tropical storm of the season Friday on top of it all. But that too we will weather. The poachers made a real mess of things and some of it we are still discovering. The traps were hit the worse. The Flav was seconded mainly because they were just trampled.
But here is a list of ones we will be looking to replace that were poached .
S. minor
S. rubra
Darlingtonia californica We did not have many and they were near the trail and were dug up
S. leucophylla
S. purpurea

The sundews were stepped on but I think they will recover. I think they could not see them as well in the dark.
So that is what was lost.
At this point seed donations will be used to reseed areas that were tramped and poached. Live plants will be acclimated to the soil and water conditions present then transplanted after the worse of the summer heat. At this point we would like to take some of the donations of plants and seed to create an area called Donor's Corner. This area will not have as much of the natural bog land and look but will be a small interpretive area where plants that are non native to Wilmington well be growing and in time label with QR code signs that will link to information about the donor. Hopefully this time next year we will host a meeting or small conference to showcase the recovery.
Please let people know that if they wish to donate all plants, seeds and materials can be sent to the following.
Cape Fear Community College
Geology Program
C/O Daniel Sheret
411 N. Front Street
Wilmington, NC 28401
910-431-1162
dsheret759@mail.cfcc.edu
We are looking at what was a tragic event turning a now into a great opportunity to further the understanding education of the importance of these plants.
Again thank you for your help.

If you are thinking about donating seeds or plants, here's what I would like to be done so that I can contact Dan and tell him what he is suppose to get from us.

1) Simply post here which plants/ seeds you want to donate, taking in consideration that it would be North American Carnivorous Plants (if you send tropical cp.'s I think they would love that but I doubt they will put it at the garden due to conditions).

2) PM me with the plants/ seeds that you will be donating and your name ( not the member name but your real name)

3) Include a note when sending the plants/ seeds with your name and mention that this is from the FTC(flytrap care) community to repopulate the garden and then send the plants/ seeds to the address above(if you read above, they want to keep QR codes with donor's info).

4) Please confirm that you have shipped the plants

If I come with something else I will post here, other than that, I hope we can get a fair amount of donations, this is certainly a great way to show how much we love our plants in the wild and in cultivation.

For people who have thousands of vft's ( matt :D ) hope you can depart with a few! :mrgreen:

Contact me if you have any other question.

(edit:)
For the people that don't have plants/ seeds to spare, you can also donate money which will be use to raise money for the project like supplies, tools, security cameras and also, a reward for the person who can give information about the poachers.

http://Www.coastallandtrust.org/Flytrapfund
Last edited by jht-union on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
By jht-union
I will be donating the following seeds:

Drosera filiformis 'Red' 100
Drosera filiformis 1000
Drosera capillaris 'long arm' 500
Drosera intermedia 1000
Drosera rotundifolia 500+
Drosera capillaris 100+
Utricularia bisquamata 2000+
Sarracenia alabamensis (rubra subsp. alabamensis)
Sarracenia jonesii (rubra subps. Jonesii)
Sarracenia oreophila
By jht-union
bananaman wrote:I just contacted him about sending in an S. jonesii plent from Texas as a gift so it is legal. If not, I will still send in some S. flava seeds and/or plants. I also contacted him to OK that...
Yup, donations which are free and is a gift you shouldn't have any trouble sending in the plant a/o seeds.
By jht-union
bananaman wrote:I just contacted him about sending in an S. jonesii plent from Texas as a gift so it is legal. If not, I will still send in some S. flava seeds and/or plants. I also contacted him to OK that...
Starchy wrote:I can donate a purpurea ssp purpurea
Dionae wrote:I have some VFTs and S. rubra I can part with. Might have some purpureas also.

Please confirm with me when you send the plants what plants you will be donating so I can update the thread and so that I can tell Dan so he knows what he is suppose to get from us!

Thank you so much for the donations! :)

Hope more members can donate! :D
By jht-union
Also,
I wanted to mention that if you do not have spare plants or seeds, you can also donate money which will be use to raise money for the project like supplies, tools, security cameras and also, a reward for the person who can give information about the poachers.

This the website for donations:
http://Www.coastallandtrust.org/Flytrapfund
By Sander
Great, and i mean great initiative!!!

All i have is some aliciae seeds (harvested 2 days ago, about 12 seed pots, so hundreds? of seeds)
My Vft has flowered but is not ready to be harvested (and since its my first time having one flowered i have no clue as to how much longer it might take).

What is the time-span of this action? So if my vft seeds are done in time i can ship like 3/4th of them (had 5 flower stalks at the same time, and hand polinated so should produce lots of seeds)
By jht-union
Sorry for the late replay(moved recently), hope all of you were able to get in contact with Dan.

I haven't heard back frim him. Last time I emailed him was because the NCBG is also sending plants.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!