FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By happiness
Every once in a while I'll notice a spider web thread going across a traps mouth, or across one trap to another.. Should I be worried? Don't Alphids make these? And can you see them if you looked?

& can you over water you plant with the "tray method"?

I'll check the trays and there will still be water in the bottom, so I'll put more in.. Or do you wait till it ALL dries up and then put the inch of water in again?
By tom_e_boi
happiness wrote:Every once in a while I'll notice a spider web thread going across a traps mouth, or across one trap to another.. Should I be worried? Don't Aphids make these? And can you see them if you looked?

& can you over water you plant with the "tray method"?

I'll check the trays and there will still be water in the bottom, so I'll put more in.. Or do you wait till it ALL dries up and then put the inch of water in again?
I've noticed the tiniest little spiderweb on my flytraps just the other day. It was no bigger than a quarter. I went ahead and just left the little spider and its web there, because it wasn't really hurting any of my plants. I don't think it would be aphids doing that though, and you should be able to spot them as well. But I can't say for certain, because I've (luckily) never had to deal with them.

As for over watering them via the tray method, they should be fine. Just so long as you only soak the ends of their roots in water, and don't let the water level get too close to the rhizome. I usually wait until the water's almost dried up from the tray, but not completely, before adding more water to it. But given this heat, that's usually everyday for me now.
By Snap Traps
My (not so big) collection is covered with spiderwebs woven by baby spiders. I can't imagine having to grow my plants without them as they are so helpful at keeping pests at bay, due to this, I have no experience with pesticides (which I'm glad to say :D ). Despite what you might think, I have never found any of the spiders being eaten by my plants; even the sundews are no match for them :lol: . The only thing about them is they love to weave impenetrable webs across the mouth of my sarr, it gets irritating to see a juicy fly losing it's grip but get stuck in the web moments before it falls into the tube :x .
happiness wrote:Don't Alphids make these?
No they don't, spider mites do :) .
By Greenthumbs Garden
Oh Spider Mite the bane if all horticulturists. Some say if you repeat the name 3 times your plants will be gone by sunset.
I hate Spider Mite
By Sander
Make a photo of your plant so we can see it for ourselves, and another important question, does the plant seem to grow slower or deformed leaves?
By happiness
No deformities but the plant is growing slowly.. might be due to repotting less then a month ago, then now just recently repotting again, only with the same soil.. different pot... and another one was actually doing pretty good, with little baby traps sprouting around it but now all the bigger traps died (I cut them) and some of the littler traps are dying too..

The first plant has mostly yellowed traps .. but it was semi like this when I got it.. very slow growth too. I've seen the webs on this one..

Then the next one that has lost all its bigger traps .. I don't think I've seen the webs on this one but I have seen the webs on my more healthier, fuller, fast grower one next to it.. I've noticed little bugs occasionally in the tray of this pot at the bottom.. they would jolt at random times.. and get pretty far each jolt.. they are white in color with little antennas .. I posted something on the pest control thread but haven't had a reply yet.. xD I'm guessing it's the springtail? But I don't know. I tried to take a picture of it.. its the white speck in the middle of the water in the tray.
Attachments:
sad plant
sad plant
photo (5).JPG (61.13 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
springtail maybe??
springtail maybe??
photo (3).JPG (27.65 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Yellowed Trap
Yellowed Trap
photo (4).JPG (34.56 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
By bigpurp57
If those are the webs then I would agree it is mites, you may not have experience with pesticides but you will probably need one to get rid of mites or aphids, if you don't your plants could really suffer, I had an invasion this spring but I had neem oil ready, it is safe for all CP's except Sundews but you have to treat twice a week for a month or so, I got Bayer 3-1 and you dilute it with water and spray, it has a little odor but dissipates after it drys and works for 30 days but there are many choices.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!