FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By owkenny
I just fed my VFT a ladybug and the trap closed very slowly. I didnt even notice it closing and just realized it was after a bit. Is this bad or normal for some traps?

Also, my other traps arent opening. How long does it usually take after feeding for a trap to open back up? Do they just stay closed for dormancy? I bought them from a store and they were kept in a tube looking case so the stems are long, probably a good 3-4 inches. is that normal?
By Veronis
The leaves grow long in some varieties normally, but typically in the case of such a store-bought plant they're stretching to get closer to light.

You don't need to feed a flytrap that's dormant, and most likely the ones that are closed now won't re-open. Typically with an actively-growing flytrap, traps stay closed for about a week.

They traps are closing slowly because it's going dormant.
By dionaea muscipula
i found out that traps close faster in temps between 75-80, thats the average temp in my terr, but it could also be light, water etc. or just domancy like Veronis mentioned
By Aging_Bourbon
if the traps fairly new it won't close as fast. But there are different variables that can effect how fast a trap can close. Either being temperature, dormancy or the trap getting OLD. But, since it's "winter" or nearer to it I'm saying that it's due to Dormancy.
By Veronis
I think I read somewhere that the amount of light a plant gets is more related to trap closing speed than other factors during the growing season, but the factors Omar and Allen mentioned do also play in.

Flytraps that are going dormant will always have sower traps, however. It's like they're tired. ;)
By kevinqwe
well you might wanna try getting the humidity up so it can close faster
Weird Venus Flytrap

And also, I may or may not have found a flytrap nu[…]

Progress Pictures

Very impressive :)

Izumia’s first pitcher

After 8 months of waiting, its first pitcher is ge[…]

Cephalotus for sale!

Shipping is $9 all around the U.S. and $9.30 for U[…]

I have bought seeds that are very viable from FTK […]

Happy hear she made it to you in good condition. […]

Drosera seedlings moldy

They were under a plastic cover to increase the hu[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that po[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!