FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Amac
Can anybody provide me with some pictures of Drosera Spathulata seed pods or seeds please??

P.S. could they please not be close up?
By renesis
I don't have any pictures, but its the dried up portion just beneath the flower petals after the flower and at least a bit of the stem had turned brown. If you pull off the petals with a tweezer, and roll whats left between your fingers over a white paper- you will see the tiny seeds falling out.
By Amac
Thanks a bunch How long does do they take to germinate? And at what times do the flowers usually open cuz I don't know if they'd be pollinated with out a bug or human with a toothpick.
By renesis
Amac wrote:Thanks a bunch How long does do they take to germinate? And at what times do the flowers usually open cuz I don't know if they'd be pollinated with out a bug or human with a toothpick.
Not long to germinate- you should see green within 2 weeks with fresh seeds. I've noticed something odd with the D. spathulata specifically- the flowers indoors don't open very much, the ones outdoors open during the day and close by evening. The bulk of the flowers self-pollinate, so I doubt you really need to both with a toothpick. Wait til a good portion of the stem turns brown below the flower to give the seeds some time to ripen. Otherwise, its really easy!
By Amac
Thanks a lot again I might put my plant outside I kinda want to see the flower.
By renesis
Make sure you transition it outside slowly so you don't shock it.

The ones I have outside are red, gorgeous and very healthy, while the ones inside are more green. Here are the ones I have outside:

By Amac
I can't keep them outside too much cuz it's raining a lot here Maybe I'll just keep them inside. Well I'm getting a sunroom in My backyard so I'll probably keep them in there so they get more sunlight. Do they still get good sunlight through glass?
By renesis
You live near the same place I do, mine stay outside even through the rain. It washes the dew off, but comes back within a couple days. You could try it in the sun-room, if it reddens up, its getting enough light.
By Amac
SO it's okay to leave it in the rain? That's good I Do you keep your vft in the rain as well? cuz mine sorta get's soaked in this passed rain so I brought it inside.
By renesis
Right now, the only one I keep outside is that D.spathulata. VFTs should do fine outside as well and will appreciate the full sun. This past storm was a bit much with the wind, and probably was good to keep it in. But otherwise, through heavy rains it should be fine as long as you keep it in a saucer with some water and keep it somewhere where a good gust of wind won't send it across the yard.
By Amac
Yeah I usually surround it with rocks And in a tray ( the rocks aren't in the tray) I was just worried about the roots with all the water.
By renesis
Think of it this way,

You can never water a plant too much, but you can water it too often.

Growing media will hold a maximum amount of water, anything past that will drain out into the tray. As the waters used by the plant or evaporated, the media replenishes it from the tray until the tray dries out. After a day or two, you (or the rain) fills the tray again. After a really heavy rain, when its enough to fill the tray, you can always empty out the tray and refill it again after a couple of days. When you water it too often, that's when there is no oxygen left in the pot, and that's when you run into problems. As long as you have some sand or perlite in the mix, it will drain out.
Last edited by renesis on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Amac
Okay thanks.
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!