FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jaker00
I just got a sarracenia purpurea, and was wondering when I should put it in dormancy since I bought it in late fall, should I start immediately, or wait a little bit, I don't know when it came out of dormancy, and I don't want to hurt it, my dormancy plan is a basic fridge dormancy. DISCLAIMER: you may have already seen this post because I accidentally posted it in the wrong area.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By MikeB
Did you buy it potted or bare-rooted?
By Jaker00
MikeB wrote:Did you buy it potted or bare-rooted?
Potted in peat moss and spaghnum, I'll probably repot it soon.

By MikeB
Potted is good; the roots weren't disturbed. I'd hold off with repotting until late February or early March. Let your pitcher plant get close to the end of dormancy, then put it in a bigger pot with fresh soil so it can go crazy in the summer.

Your location doesn't say where in Kansas you are, so I looked at the state-wide temperature map. It's pretty moderate right now, ranging from 53 to 66 F. I would let the plant sit outside and settle into dormancy. If the temperature drops below freezing at night, stash your plant in an unheated garage or shed, then put it back outside the next morning. If it has to sit in there for a week or two due to cold temps, that won't hurt it. I'm not a big fan of fridge dormancy; I consider that to be the method of last resort.
By Jaker00
MikeB wrote:Potted is good; the roots weren't disturbed. I'd hold off with repotting until late February or early March. Let your pitcher plant get close to the end of dormancy, then put it in a bigger pot with fresh soil so it can go crazy in the summer.

Your location doesn't say where in Kansas you are, so I looked at the state-wide temperature map. It's pretty moderate right now, ranging from 53 to 66 F. I would let the plant sit outside and settle into dormancy. If the temperature drops below freezing at night, stash your plant in an unheated garage or shed, then put it back outside the next morning. If it has to sit in there for a week or two due to cold temps, that won't hurt it. I'm not a big fan of fridge dormancy; I consider that to be the method of last resort.
Could I leave it outside until it goes into dormancy, and then put it in the fridge, I don't wanna leave it outside because where I live in Kansas the weather is crazy and it can be snowing and 70° in the same week.

By MikeB
Jaker00 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 amCould I leave it outside until it goes into dormancy, and then put it in the fridge
That would work great. Here is a good tutorial on fridge dormancy for Sarracenia.
By Jaker00
MikeB wrote:
Jaker00 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 amCould I leave it outside until it goes into dormancy, and then put it in the fridge
That would work great. Here is a good tutorial on fridge dormancy for Sarracenia.
Thank you! That link was super helpful!

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!