FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ambkosh8465
Does anyone here have a Sarracenia psittacina? Is it really as bright red as some of the photos I've seen online, like this one?

I was tempted to order one from that company until I saw this disclaimer at the end of the product description...
"Photograph is representative of the species and is not the plant shipped."
Last edited by ambkosh8465 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By scorpio5569
I have one but it is a Giant, it is not red like the one in the picture but some get that way as you can see, mine has some red in it though and hope it will have more as it grows. The pics of it potted are to big to upload here.
Attachments:
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG (171.77 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
By Coldzercp
scorpio5569 wrote:I have one but it is a Giant, it is not red like the one in the picture but some get that way as you can see, mine has some red in it though and hope it will have more as it grows. The pics of it potted are to big to upload here.
*cough Cough
That is not a pure psittacina it's a hybrid *Cough :(

Parker679's plant is a pure
By jht-union
The Psittacina you have is a hybrid I agree. Usually the trap looks more like the first pic in the thread more ovate like in the curvature and the trap opening is much more smaller often hard to see the opening.

Your plant looks with the trap opening more pointy and you can see well the opening, I would think it is a S. Scarlet belle that needs more direct light to start coloring up nicely. Nice plant by the way, it looks like a young plant.

What is the source of the plant?
By Daniel_G
The colour of a Psitticina is basically genetics. If you have an Anthocyanin Free plant then it'll be green, that's a simple one.

The amount of red will also depend on sunlight, but only to a degree. Once you find the right clone (Which will be much easier if you're buying from a grower instead of a nursery) Then you'll be fine.
But yeah, genetics.

And just in case it's really necessary, I too agree, Scorpio's is a hybrid.
By RL7836
parker679 wrote:In full sun they can get that red. Mine is still small but this is what it looks like.

It looks like yours is a type that produces lots of divisions. In my care, those plants rarely get very large as they tend to put their energy into new divisions. In addition, many S. psittacina do not get very large in captivity without some additional fertilization.

Here's an older pic from one of my larger clones - not as red as the one above.

For the best domestic source of Sarrs, contact Michael Wang, he is a true connoisseur of the genus (not just a nursery owner who happens to sell some).
By dimitar
The color of the plant is from early summer, now in autumn it has much darker color...
PA110007.JPG
PA110007.JPG (236.17 KiB) Viewed 6226 times
By Daniel_G
Starchy wrote:I never realized how much S. psittacina look like Darlingtonia...
You'll find the use very much the same method, with the exception that Psitts can catch aquatic creatures too.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!