FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Carpy321
So I've just done my first repot and divide, I can get a lot more then I thought!!
Just wondering if you lot thought I did okay?? Now do I stick em back out to hibernate still, the new babies I mean?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
By t9gear
Something looks off with your plants. What is the soils mix you using and how much light are they getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Carpy321
t9gear wrote:Something looks off with your plants. What is the soils mix you using and how much light are they getting.

Well they've been outside for the last 3 days to try Nd hibernate them, in British weather. The soil mix was what ever the store used.
The one I just added in was a peat and perlite mix I think from ebay.
Added a more close up image Image

By t9gear
Was it a specific carnivores mix from eBay or plant soil ?
Could be just shock I guess

By Carpy321
t9gear wrote:Was it a specific carnivores mix from eBay or plant soil ?
Could be just shock I guess

Was specific for venus fly traps.
Maybe its shock from being outside in the cold for 3 days? Normally there window plants!

By t9gear
They should be fine back outside.

By Secretariat73
The flytrap in the close up should be planted much lower in the soil. Set it into the soil like the one in the brown-orangish pot on its left.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Carpy321 wrote: Maybe its shock from being outside in the cold for 3 days? Normally there window plants!
Venus Flytraps are actually almost always outdoors plants. They love hours of direct sunlight, and need seasonal cues to grow well. They can withstand temperatures from about 35 C in the growing season to around 5 in dormancy. And even when they are grown inside, they (majority of the time) need strong grow lights, and some form of artificial dormancy. Windowsills are often way too dim for Venus Flytraps.

But to keep them on a windowsill during winters in Britain isn't a bad idea. If the temperatures are below freezing a lot of the time then keeping them outside could freeze the roots and kill them. Still, during the growing season they should almost always be outside.
By Doublebass1985
Ya they look like they were in shock from repotting. Exposing the rhizome to the outside air usually always puts them in shock. It would be like us walking outside in 35℉ with only socks on. That's why I recommend lfm and wrap a nice ball around the rhizome to minimize any stress.
Hi from FNQ.

Welcome dude!!

hmm, should i flush them then let them dry?

Is your "grow area" lined with reflectiv[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Ok. Thank you very much, everyone!

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!