FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dragonight1993
I just repotted my Drosera capensis alba and red but my Drosera capensis red is not doing well at the moment.:(
ipod 001.JPG
ipod 001.JPG (94.1 KiB) Viewed 4399 times
Last edited by dragonight1993 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
By unicorn775
mine always look gloomy like that after repotting, and sometimes they loose leaves too but they regrow. My pretty rosette lost all her leaves ufter repotting but now has very cute 5-6 leaves full of dew
unicorn775 liked this
By dragonight1993
Daniel_G wrote:Any info you can give us?
What lighting, temps, water, how much light, how much humidity?
We need facts.
I have it under a plant light, I have it in a tray of distilled water, It is growing in Long-Fibered Sphagnum Moss in a 6'' pot and the temp is 75.
Last edited by dragonight1993 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ras
what kind of plant light?
size of bulb, watts, color temp how long do you leave the light on, etc
we need some details to be able to give you a good answer :P
Ras liked this
By dragonight1993
Ras wrote:what kind of plant light?
size of bulb, watts, color temp how long do you leave the light on, etc
we need some details to be able to give you a good answer :P
It's a Exo Terra DAYTIME HEAT LAMP PT2100 - T10/15W A broad-spectrum daylight lamp with a Neodymium sleeve. The spectrum is ideal for plant’s photosynthesis and the UVA (ultraviolet A) light contributes to reptiles’ physiological well-being. Another important factor is the heat emitted by this bulb to increase the over all ambient temperature in the terrarium. I Keep it on for about 16 hours.
By Ras
that might be your problem (well I almost know forsure thats the problem)
heatlamps are not good light for these guys, I'm sure they could work but you wont get a healthy looking plant, they get too hot, they dry out soil, they dont peak very high in green or blue light

you want a fluorescent bulb, you can get one from walmart or lowes that will fit into that same lamp fixture in replacement of the reptile bulb and it cost about 5$ for 2 bulbs
they are called compact fluorescent bulbs with color temperature of around 6400k aka "cool white"
the higher the watts the better, but be sure not to confuse "watts" with "volts"
your not really lookin at the volts when buying a light, just want high wattage
the highest I found at walmart was 25watts and I kept them as close as you do with your light

this was my plant when I had it under the walmart bulb
http://i42.tinypic.com/11c4ks1.jpg
thats what your plant will look like with fluorescent lighting, seeing as how you seem to have everything else right the new light should bring that plant into full grow

and if your confused about the bulb specifics you can just write "compact fluorescent bulbs color temp around 6400k or 'cool white' " on a piece of paper and show it to the worker and hell help you
just remember you want the highest watts possible in the bulb which should be around 25-28 watts if you are buying from walmart or lowes
im talkin in circles now,

anyway hope this helps
gl!

/edit
I would probably just take that light off them and just give them indirect sunlight until you can get the new bulb :P
if you turn that light off and move em up to that window thats next to them they should be fine
aslong as no direct light blares through that window
Ras, Ras liked this
By dragonight1993
I just got a better light for my sundew I got a compact fluorescent color temp 6500k 26 watts. :D
ipod 001.JPG
ipod 001.JPG (42.86 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
By Ras
dragonight1993 wrote: I just got a better light for my sundew I got a compact fluorescent color temp 6500k 26 watts. :D
ipod 001.JPG
perfect :)
if you start to notice the hairs on the red capensis turning white then just means the plant wants the light closer
you can also use tinfoil for the walls of that little setup to help reflect light
all looks good to me though
nice job!
Ras, Ras liked this
Uh. That's not where that goes.

Are you feeding that thing any weird fertilizers[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot.[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Starter Incredible Redhulk?

Hi Hi! Did anyone happen to take pictures of their[…]

Cape Alba

My only Cape “Alba” sundew that surviv[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!