FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jack_70
Hi guys, I've had my Red Dragon for about 3 months now, but it has never grown a good number of traps, as they keep dying off quite quickly. It seems almost that for every new one that grows, an old one dies off. There is currently 4 traps on it (plus a new one emerging), of which 2 seem to be on their way out (teeth going brown). It is grown in a good soil mix (peat moss plus some perlite and sand) on a sunny window sill and watered and looked after carefully, same as my other cp's, which are all thriving.
Am I doing something wrong, or are Red Dragons just like this?
By linton
Your Red Dragon should not require any special treatment, essentially it is the same other VFT - except for the color. If your plant is getting plenty of natural light and clean water it should be thriving.
If the pot and roots are getting too hot this can stunt growth. If you could post some photos it may help us to diagnose the problem.
By nesler
Is there anything that you've done differently with that plant, compared to the others?

Different soil mix, different batch of something in the soil mix, different pot, different location...?
By Matt
I've had a tough time with some of my Red Dragons too. Last year mine did something similar to what yours are doing. I gave them excellent care, the same as the rest of my plants, and they seemed to just not grow very well.

I've noticed that they seem much more susceptible to those little red spider mites. Have you looked for those? I had no idea why mine weren't growing very well and then I looked very closely and I could see little red dots (mites) on their leaves. I got some Ortho Orthenex and gave them a spray down. This year they've looked awesome! But the mites keep coming back, so I have to watch for them and treat them when I notice them.
By Budukai
Personally, I don't think your doing anything wrong. My red dragon and royal red only grow about six traps at most before the oldest one dies. Some vfts don't grow more than that number sometimes, can you tell me what size the dragon is, mine is a medium size, but it has 3 division, I'm sure next year they will get alot more traps as they age. Of course that's just my opinion, but from what you've said this seems like a logical conclusion :)
By Jack_70
This is a photo of the plant that I am having the problems with.
Attachments:
My Red Dragon
My Red Dragon
clip_image002.jpg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
By Jack_70
Thanks to all of you for the replies :) I would say that the plant hasn't been treated any differently from my others, although something did occur to me today whilst taking the photo - I placed a crystal in the pot for decoration, and I'm wondering if it could be leaching minerals into the soil? Some of my other plants have crystals in their pots too (quartz and amethyst, and no probs with those plants), but this is a blue one that I don't know the name of off-hand.
Matt, I haven't noticed any spider-mites, but I will have a closer inspection of it tomorrow.
Budukai, the longest leaf is about 8cm, if that helps.
By Matt
Jack_70 wrote:I placed a crystal in the pot for decoration, and I'm wondering if it could be leaching minerals into the soil? Some of my other plants have crystals in their pots too (quartz and amethyst
Quartz is silicon dioxide (also known as silica), and I know that's safe. I don't know what a blue crystal is composed of, so that could be it.
By kevinqwe
yea thats the exact same situation im in!
Progress Pictures

I've left the window open and I can now see five i[…]

Drosera seedlings moldy

What kind of mixed drosera are you growing, @Wolfc[…]

If be careful about putting it against the shed. I[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Uh. That's not where that goes.

Are you feeding that thing any weird fertilizers[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!