FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fly_trap_malta
First of all i have a sarracenia leucophylla x purpurea, bought from holland.

what is happening is that the old colourful (reddish) traps are dying. However new pitchers are being formed, the majority are mainly green with a few red veins. BUT only a few manage to grow large enough. Is it beacuse winter is approaching? any idea what it can be?

I followed all the instructions precisely :
rain/distilled water,
moist soil mainly peat moss,sphagnum moss..
a lot of sunlight..direct and indirect.

Will upload pictures later. thanks!
By jwbates26
I would suggest more light. I noticed with my seedlings that the less light they get the more green they are, but once I give them natural light or more intense light they color up quickly.
jwbates26 liked this
By steve booth
Hi FTM

It looks a normal and healtthy plant. It is the time of year to go dormant and the plant is probably doing that, it is a normal to get browning pitchers and new pitchers at the latter parts of the year, nothing to worry about.
If you can keep it below 10C from November to March it will be fine, the pitchers may go brown and there will be no new growth but that is normal.

Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By parker679
Also keep in mind that with Sarr's that have several growth points like yours does, not all the pitchers that are forming are going to be mature. I have a leucophylla that will put up pitchers 2+ feet tall and will still have several that don't get more than 8-9 inches. Just like with VFT's, new divisions are not mature plants and therefore won't have leaves the size of a mature plant.
parker679 liked this
By fly_trap_malta
pic_2..then guess everything is allright with my plant?
Attachments:
IMG_0798_poor quality.JPG
IMG_0798_poor quality.JPG (460.67 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Last edited by fly_trap_malta on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By parker679
The only thing that concerns me is how some of the pitchers are shriveling like that. Typically they will start to turn brown when they die. I usually only see shriveling like that in newly purchased plants and I assume it's from those traps drying.

BUT....it looks like you have lots of new growth and most the pitchers look healthy.

How long have you had this plant? Also, do you keep it in a tray? And where do you live? A general area is fine if you don't want to list your city.
parker679 liked this
By fly_trap_malta
I bought this plant from Holland about 2months ago. I grow it indoors in Malta, next to a window, where it can receive the maximum sunlight possible. I use the tray method for watering. Water is changed regularly too.
Everything seemed fine for a month and a half, although the temperature was very different from Holland's. However Shriveling occurred mainly over the past week (weather was more cloudier than usual...occasional showers). I cut the pitchers when they turn brownish and look almost completely dead.

http://www.maltaweather.com/climate.shtml

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!