FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bbtellmewhy
hi guys so i ordered two bags of VFT seeds form the internet and i had them grow in two different container, so far one container did germinate but the other one are confused me. i attached a couple pictures below, these seeds turned into white little bubble about a day in and the two bags of seeds clearly looks different too, can anyone help me out, are they not fly trap seeds or they are just different species?

update:
hey guys, to further test it out, i took 3 fresh seeds and soak them into distilled water, within 30 second they turned into these white little thingy.
Attachments:
IMG_7827.jpg
IMG_7827.jpg (809.17 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
IMG_7828.jpg
IMG_7828.jpg (683.16 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
close up look
close up look
IMG_7822.jpg (1007.98 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
IMG_7819.jpg
IMG_7819.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 3979 times
little white bubbles, not sure if these are the seeds that i sprinkled into the container or they are smth else, cnt seem to find any visible seeds other than these
little white bubbles, not sure if these are the seeds that i sprinkled into the container or they are smth else, cnt seem to find any visible seeds other than these
IMG_7820.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 3979 times
bottom ones germinated
bottom ones germinated
IMG_7826.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3979 times
By Kwient
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Is this your first Venus flytrap attempt? I guess so :)
It is very difficult and takes a long time to grow vft from seeds. Best thing you can do is buy a mature plant and read all the care sections on this forum and offcourse we can help too.

The seeds you bought are fake and will not grow into a beautifull Venus flytrap. I am sorry.
I see half of the writing on the plastic bag but I guess it says blue Venus flytrap?! It is non excisting and fake.

I dont know where you are from but if you look around you will find a place where you can buy the vft and you can enjoy it right away.
By bbtellmewhy
Kwient wrote:Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Is this your first Venus flytrap attempt? I guess so :)
It is very difficult and takes a long time to grow vft from seeds. Best thing you can do is buy a mature plant and read all the care sections on this forum and offcourse we can help too.

The seeds you bought are fake and will not grow into a beautifull Venus flytrap. I am sorry.
I see half of the writing on the plastic bag but I guess it says blue Venus flytrap?! It is non excisting and fake.

I dont know where you are from but if you look around you will find a place where you can buy the vft and you can enjoy it right away.
yeah its my first VFT, the ones on the left hand side did germinate and im pretty sure those are VFT, but the ones on the left hand side are probably not.
By Kwient
Does the bag on the lefthand side say blue Venus flytrap?
I would be surprised if any of your seeds turns out to be a flytrap seed. But hé, you can always try and find out in a little while.

But then still, it takes a long time (3 to 5 years I thought it was) to grow a mature Venus flytrap and I would not suggest this if you are new to flytraps.

Offcourse I hope you did get flytrap seeds and you manage to keep it alive and thriving for a long time....:)
By riveraXVX
how much price paid for what quantity? that will likely tell y ou if they are fake or not. most places that sell legit flytrap seeds you can expect to pay approx $1 per seed
By evenwind
bbtellmewhy wrote: yeah its my first VFT, the ones on the left hand side did germinate and im pretty sure those are VFT, but the ones on the left hand side are probably not.
Since they sprouted, you should be able to tell very soon - you'll start seeing tiny traps with the second pair of leaves. Do a Google image search for "Venus Flytrap seedlings" and you'll see what I mean. Also, VFT seeds are typically teardrop shaped - coming to a point at one end - so I'm not so sure the left hand bag is genuine (especially since it says "Blue"). The round seeds in the right hand bag are certainly something else.
evenwind liked this
By bbtellmewhy
im pretty sure the ones of the left hand side arent fly trap but the ones on the right hand side has already sprouted, so these are the images, anyone could identify?
Attachments:
IMG_7829.jpg
IMG_7829.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3932 times
IMG_7830.jpg
IMG_7830.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3932 times
IMG_7831.jpg
IMG_7831.jpg (955.71 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
By bbtellmewhy
Kwient wrote:Does the bag on the lefthand side say blue Venus flytrap?
I would be surprised if any of your seeds turns out to be a flytrap seed. But hé, you can always try and find out in a little while.

But then still, it takes a long time (3 to 5 years I thought it was) to grow a mature Venus flytrap and I would not suggest this if you are new to flytraps.

Offcourse I hope you did get flytrap seeds and you manage to keep it alive and thriving for a long time....:)
pretty sure the blue fly trap bag of seed is a scam but the other one which had sprouted could probably be a real venus fly trap, i attached some images below, feel free to check it up, really appreciate it
By riveraXVX
whatever you are showing in that photo is 100% not a venus flytrap

how much did you pay/for how many seeds? that will be the easiest indicator honestly.

here is a macro shot of a small seedling. that germinated 4/25 (a little under 2 months old currently)

from leftmost tip of trap in photo to the right most trap in the photo this plant is 5/8" wide (just under 16mm)

it will emerge as two single leaves, then carnivorous leaves from there.

By bbtellmewhy
riveraXVX wrote:whatever you are showing in that photo is 100% not a venus flytrap

how much did you pay/for how many seeds? that will be the easiest indicator honestly.

here is a macro shot of a small seedling. that germinated 4/25 (a little under 2 months old currently)

from leftmost tip of trap in photo to the right most trap in the photo this plant is 5/8" wide (just under 16mm)

are you referring to these?
Attachments:
IMG_7829.jpg
IMG_7829.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_7830.jpg
IMG_7830.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3928 times
IMG_7829.jpg
IMG_7829.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3928 times
By bbtellmewhy
bbtellmewhy wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:whatever you are showing in that photo is 100% not a venus flytrap

i paid around 7 bucks for 50 seeds

are you referring to these?
By riveraXVX
yeah $7 for 50 seeds they will be fake. fear not you are not the first nor the last to be duped in this manner between forums and FB seems like there are multiple posts daily every day and likely has been since the dawn of the internet!
By boarderlib
I'm sorry to say but neither one of those bags of seeds are VFT seeds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!