On a different note, a member of a carnivorous plants group on Facebook posted a photo 4 years ago of the plant. An individual named Paweł Red commented that it is his cultivar which is named after his wife. I messaged Paweł Red and he told me that the correct spelling for the cultivar is "Martha's Lips". I brought this up with my e-mail conversation with the vendor and he said that he believes that the owner of CarniPlants.eu is named Pavel. I messaged Paweł Red again to confirm if he was the owner of CarniPlants.eu but I’m still waiting for his reply. From Paweł Red’s profile though, it seems like he is from Poland. Although CarniPlants.eu seems to not be in business anymore, I found two legacy pages that lists the company’s information and says CarniPlants.eu was indeed based in Poland and the contact person listed is Pawel Red!
The vendor who I bought the plant from showed me a CarniPlants.eu plants list from 2019 which lists the cultivar as "Martahs Lips". I'm now starting to believe that the list and the name of the cultivar that this vendor imported was the one that was mis-spelled. As I said, I’m still waiting for Paweł Red’s response but if he was indeed the owner of CarniPlants.eu, then, according to him, the correct term for the cultivar is “Martha’s Lips”.
I always label my plants the same way as I receive them but in a rare case like this, I will go by what the originator tells me directly himself.
Further looking into that 2019 CarniPlants.eu list (http://www.carniplants.eu/img/plants_15_01_2019.pdf), I see a number of typo errors.
- Their listing for "Claytons Volcanic Red" and "Trevs Red Dentate" is evident to me why the apostrophe from "Martahs Lips" was lost in the first place.
- An item on their list is called "Fine X Tooth". I'm not 100% sure but I think they probably meant "Fine Tooth x Red".
- The FTS cultivars on the list are also not properly listed with the "FTS" prefix such as 'FTS Flaming Lips', 'FTS Purple Ambush', and 'FTS Marons Monster'. The "FTS" prefix is part of those cultivars' registered names.
- 'Marons Monster' is obviously mis-spelled as well.
- "UK Sawtooth 1" and "UK Sawtooth 2" are also not correct. The registered cultivar names are 'UK I' and 'UK II'.
The people at CarniPlants.eu were not careful with proper labels and it is now quite clear to me where the confusion with "Martha's Lips" originated from.