FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan Hao
I currently have a pot with a sarracenia and a drosera (and hopefully soon a VFT). I'm in zone 6a, so I'm a bit hesitant to leave my bog pot outside in fear of sub-freezing temps.

I was thinking of putting the bog in an unheated garage, but there are no windows. Would this be unsuitable? Otherwise, I have a room above the garage with an East facing window, and although heated, it remains around 40-50 F throughout the winter. Would this be better?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions!
By Panman
Your unheated room sounds like a good option for dormancy. The garage will work also. You will want to reduce the amount of water you have in the container during dormancy.
By Intheswamp
What kind of drosera?

ETA: I guess, though, that a capensis or other drosera that don’t require dormancy won’t mind the 40-50F temps.
Last edited by Intheswamp on Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
Good point. From the other posts at the time, I believe it is a spatulata. A spatulata will not survive a cold winter dormancy. It might survive at 40 degrees, but I don't think so.
By ChefDean
Both sound like good options for a cold temperate dormancy, as long as the plants stay above freezing. Light really isn't a factor as the plants are sleeping. I put mine in an insulated but unheated and windowless garage. In fact, here's a pic of mine last winter in my garage.
20230926_112735.jpg
20230926_112735.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
Camden, dizzle liked this
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:32 pm Both sound like good options for a cold temperate dormancy, as long as the plants stay above freezing. Light really isn't a factor as the plants are sleeping. I put mine in an insulated but unheated and windowless garage. In fact, here's a pic of mine last winter in my garage.
20230926_112735.jpg
I tried that last winter and it worked very well (putting the plants in garage with no light). I don't know why I bothered with lights all those previous years.
By Jonathan Hao
@Intheswamp - Panman got it, it's a spatulata (that admittedly isn't doing the best). Tbh, I might move the spatulata in to its own pot and replace it with a capensis, which although subtropical, I've read will happily go through a dormancy period with the rest of the plants.

Cool, from the responses, I think it'd be best for me to put the whole pot in the garage for the winter. I'll make sure to not have sitting water, but will keep it damp through the last frost.

Thanks everyone!
By ChefDean
Jonathan Hao wrote:...replace it with a capensis, which although subtropical, I've read will happily go through a dormancy period with the rest of the plants.
I have capensis go through dormancy many times, but always on their own schedule. I've never tried to put one through a cold temperate dormancy. However, considering the abuse I've seen capensis overcome, I wouldn't be surprised if it came through without a hitch.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!