FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By -twillyranger-
Recently, one of my Pygmy sundews has produced gemmae. I wasn’t trying to get my plants to produce any but one of the plants did. So here’s my question, will the gemmae production set the plant back? And, when I harvested the gemmae I found that the gemmae that I was harvesting were both a green color and a dark red. Are the green gemmae not viable? Or are they just as good as the others? Any help would be appreciated.
By Jeeper
It varies a little be depending on species but all of them will produce gemmae whether you want them or not! Green is good, red is bad. It will not set the plants back too much, if at all, as it is part of their nature/dormancy cycle to produce them.

I have a ton that are going to waste this year cause I haven't had much interest from others and I also don't have my shipping methods down how I want them yet.
Jeeper liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Red is not necessarily bad. I have plenty of gemmae that are red because I keep mine under high lighting. Some under red/blue LEDs get extremely red and they sprout just fine. Green ones are just fine. Usually mine will be red on the outer part of the clump of gemmae and green in the middle. It really doesn’t matter as long as they aren’t brown. If the gemmae pop off the plant with little resistance they are ready.

Some species get set back quite a bit. Some of mine I lose every year after they produce gemmae.

Here is a picture of some D. nitidula I have under LEDs that are very red. They sprout just fine. And some with a little red on the outermost gemmae.
Attachments:
29603897-7BC0-452C-AD8D-89DF0098F74D.jpeg
29603897-7BC0-452C-AD8D-89DF0098F74D.jpeg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 1347 times
4E45192F-3CF7-461D-9DD1-6376B20724CD.jpeg
4E45192F-3CF7-461D-9DD1-6376B20724CD.jpeg (717.89 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
By twitcher
Oh, Jeepers, I sincerely hope you get your shipping down soon, hate to see the gemmae going to waste. Winter is setting in fast here and the window to receive unfrozen gemmae is closing fast.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!