FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cnrose
When I first got into carnivorous plants many years (read: 1 year and a couple months) ago, I was much more interested in the big plants, and didn't understand the appeal of tiny, self-proclaimed "pygmy" sundews that you had to grow from gemmae and couldn't transplant. But since I'm a bit of a completionist, I had to get at least one representative of the group into my grow setup. So I bought some Scorpioides gemmae, and 7 months later, and I somehow now have 8 different pygmy species/hybrids.

All these plants are grown in a mix of peat, sand, and perlite, under 16 hours of LED light (I'll maybe switch to a natural photoperiod in a couple months for gemmae production), whatever temperatures happen to be occurring (usually intermediate-lowland in the summer, intermediate-highland in the winter), and lots of feeding with 800 ppm MaxSea.

These 4 are, clockwise from top-right: Omissa x Pulchella "Pink Flower", Pulchella(?) "Red Center", Scorpioides, and Pedicellaris x Callistos.
4.jpg
4.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2912 times

Here are the Omissa x Pulchella and Pulchella(?) flowers being nice neighbors. They started flowering just 3 weeks after I sowed the gemmae and haven't stopped. When they first started flowering I tried smushing the flowers together so they would maybe make seeds, but I've been too lazy to check if any seeds have developed in those pods.
1.jpg
1.jpg (632.26 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

I do love the pattern of alternating flower pods that forms after a scape has had several flowers on it already. And I enjoy how you can see the trichomes and little beads of dew even on the spent flower heads.
10.jpg
10.jpg (948.26 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

The Scorpioides are majestic, towering above the rest like little trees. I love how their leaves look like little millipedes with dozens of red legs. It makes syringe-feeding them that much more fun.
6.jpg
6.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2912 times

Next is my personal favorite for foliage, and one of the smallest (and reddest) pygmy species, Roseana. If I get gemmae from this, I might try to sow them uniformly so I can get a nice even carpet of red. The contrast between the red and the green, and the nice hemispherical shape
5.jpg
5.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2912 times

I got 3 more species' gemmae from a Canadian grower two months ago.

I'll start with the smallest of those: Oreopodion. I can't find a ton of information about it, but the pictures of adult plants look gorgeous.
7.jpg
7.jpg (1008.72 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

Next is x Sidjamesii, which is a neat little natural hybrid between Pulchella and Patens. In its natural habitat, it often grows submerged. Boaz Ng of Fierce Flora has some incredible pictures of this hybrid in-situ here.
8.jpg
8.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2912 times

Lastly, here are the two plants that sprouted from the x Badgerupii gemmae I got. x Badgerupii is a natural hybrid between Micra and Patens. "The epithet badgerupii is derived from the indigenous Australian Noongar word badgerup, the English meaning of which is unknown. This indigenous name has been used for two conjoined bodies of water, Lake Badgerup and Little Badgerup Swamp." -ICPS
9.jpg
9.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2912 times

That's all my pygmy Drosera for now (until more gemmae somehow find themselves in my mailbox). I hope you enjoy these little gems as much as I do!
Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2912 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2912 times
Bluefire, Camden, TrapsAndDews and 5 others liked this
By schmeg
Fantastic photos and a good tour of your pygmys. Thank you for sharing,
By plantnerdjules
Congratulations on growing such beautiful pygmies and thank you very much for letting us see them, absolutely gorgeous!
cnrose liked this
By plantnerdjules
They started flowering just 3 weeks after I sowed the gemmae and haven't stopped.
The gemmae produced flowers within 3 weeks of sowing??? :shock:
I guess I misunderstood that statement - LOL. Was it the parent plants starting to flower 3 weeks after they had produced gemmae? That still seems amazing :D
By cnrose
Thanks all!
plantnerdjules wrote:
They started flowering just 3 weeks after I sowed the gemmae and haven't stopped.
The gemmae produced flowers within 3 weeks of sowing??? :shock:
I guess I misunderstood that statement - LOL. Was it the parent plants starting to flower 3 weeks after they had produced gemmae? That still seems amazing :D
You read that right - they did indeed start flowering just 3 weeks after sowing! It took another couple weeks for the first flowers to actually open once the scape started forming, but that's still faster to flower than any of my seed-grown plants have flowered - even Byblis!
By plantnerdjules
cnrose wrote: You read that right - they did indeed start flowering just 3 weeks after sowing!
panman wrote: I've had some pygmies do that as well.
Absolutely wonderful! You have the magic, both of you!! I'm so struggling with my first pygmy attempt :( I need to start a new post for that, not to hijack your happy party!

At what size did you start feeding your newly sprouted gemmae? Did you mist Maxsea liquid over them? Or apply a miniscule droplet on each baby pygmy? How often should they be fed?
By cnrose
plantnerdjules wrote:
cnrose wrote: You read that right - they did indeed start flowering just 3 weeks after sowing!
panman wrote: I've had some pygmies do that as well.
Absolutely wonderful! You have the magic, both of you!! I'm so struggling with my first pygmy attempt :( I need to start a new post for that, not to hijack your happy party!

At what size did you start feeding your newly sprouted gemmae? Did you mist Maxsea liquid over them? Or apply a miniscule droplet on each baby pygmy? How often should they be fed?
Hijack away! But also I’d love to see your attempts and hopefully help them become successes.

Great question about feeding - I use my medical syringes/needles to feed them weekly (with 1 tsp/gallon MaxSea, which is about 800 ppm), however I’ve also sprayed them. I prefer syringe-feeding because the leaves are perfectly-shaped for that method, and because pygmy Drosera are the least tolerant out of all sundews of nutrients in the soil. If I remember correctly, their roots cannot perform any nutrient uptake. I start feeding them as soon as they have leaves that are about 1 mm across or larger - at that size I can apply small droplets without the MaxSea running off into the soil!
plantnerdjules liked this
By plantnerdjules
Many thanks for feeding details! I need to get the right equipment and hope it will be okay if I substitute a local seaweed-based product. Unfortunately Maxsea seems to be unavailable in Australia.

Hijack away! But also I’d love to see your attempts and hopefully help them become successes.
My attempts are here topic55327.html. I'll be very grateful for help!
cnrose liked this
By cnrose
plantnerdjules wrote:Many thanks for feeding details! I need to get the right equipment and hope it will be okay if I substitute a local seaweed-based product. Unfortunately Maxsea seems to be unavailable in Australia.

I could always send you a packet of MaxSea if you want!
My attempts are here topic55327.html. I'll be very grateful for help!
plantnerdjules liked this
By StephenB200+
Very Impressive!
By Panman
I thought I'd bring my pygmies to the party.
Attachments:
CM220729-201816005.jpg
CM220729-201816005.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 2485 times
CM220729-201813004.jpg
CM220729-201813004.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2485 times
CM220729-201809003.jpg
CM220729-201809003.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 2485 times
MikeB, Bluefire, plantnerdjules and 1 others liked this
By thepitchergrower
D. verrucata. Still trying to figure out how to revive my platystigma. :?
Attachments:
PXL_20220730_014839071.MP_2.jpg
PXL_20220730_014839071.MP_2.jpg (231.56 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
plantnerdjules, cnrose liked this

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!