FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I'm not very experienced with Nepenthes, but the Ventricosa I have is doing well. However, I'm curious if there is a suggested ratio for bug to pitcher?
As with VFT's (and I've heard for sundews too), it is suggested that the prey item be no bigger that 1/3 the size if the trap to reduce the possibility of mold. Is there a suggested limit for Neps? Or if it fits, it sits? I have new pitchers forming, and there's a bumper crop of caterpillars due to the mild winter here. I'll feed each pitcher if I can.
Thanks,
Chef
By sanguinearocks101
You can feed it bugs as big as the pitcher. Bug body parts above the water level will not be able to be digested and may become moldy. You could always chop the bugs up into tiny bits so more can fit into the pitcher ... but then you will not have the satisfaction of knowing that the pesky insect had a slow death by drowning :twisted: . I am not sure if you can do this but you may be able to just fill the pitcher up until it is above the insect.
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 pmYou could always chop the bugs up into tiny bits so more can fit into the pitcher ...
Should I cook for them as well? Maybe find a complimentary sauce? Or wine pairing?
Only kidding, thank you for your advice.
With it being close to me being able to put it outside, and the wasps getting ready to wake up, I'm glad it will be able to take on the wasps, AKA A-holes with wings, without me having to watch it to temper its appetite.
Thanks friend,
Chef

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!