FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Sky924
Hey peoples,, Lately i have noticed a slight scent when i check my VFT's,, I have 7 VFTs in a ten gallon tank with overhead lighting. Every once in a while when i check on them I can smell the slight oder of,, the closest thing i can think of is honey suckle. It is not there all the time but every so often i pick it up. I used no detergents to clean the tank, or the pots only distilled water before setting the deal up. It has gotten a LOT strong since my B52's have opened up after transplanting.
Do Vft's produce a scent strong enough for a human to smell? Maybe with so many plants concentrated in a small area , is it possible that is what i am smelling?
By Daniel_G
It may be other thing's coming into play here, i don't think they can produce a smell for us to smell, but, they may do...
By yinepu
Well.. they have to produce some sort of smell to attract the bugs... don't they?.. no idea what that would smell like to us though.
By victor
Well make sure there is no fungi, alee, or mold in the
tank as that could be where the smell is coming from.
By Sky924
No algea or mold I watch the tank like a hawk, with the intense lighting i have and fort now a low humid enviroment,, Mold is not an issue. Most molds i have delt with do not smell like honey suckle LOL. I am keeping an eye open and of course my face in the tank sniffing.
By jht-union
sky924, you're not the only one that experiences that, last summer my VFT's smell like sugar, a really strong scent, i know what you're talking about, and they were outside in the hot summer, also my droseras, when i get really close, i also smell sugar, and it makes you want to eat one hehe, the scent is really pure :) , not sure why this happens, from what i understand is not possible for us to smell it, but i guess sometimes the production of sugar is bigger, so that's why we can smell it, what do you think?
By Grey
The smell could be the nectar that is produced to lure insects. I've not had this experience myself (I'd love it though) but that could be it.
By Sky924
jht-union wrote:sky924, you're not the only one that experiences that, last summer my VFT's smell like sugar, a really strong scent, i know what you're talking about, and they were outside in the hot summer, also my droseras, when i get really close, i also smell sugar, and it makes you want to eat one hehe, the scent is really pure :) , not sure why this happens, from what i understand is not possible for us to smell it, but i guess sometimes the production of sugar is bigger, so that's why we can smell it, what do you think?
Jht, i think that we can smell the scent of our plants. As with any biological thing,, No one can tell what another sesnses or feels. I have removed anything from the growing area that would have a scent. and I still from time to time pick it up. I recall in my younger years i had a cousin that clamed she could here a dog whitsle,, LOL we gave her hell about that. And at my age when TV's had tubes and all. I could walk into a room and KNOW when those old style TV;s were on because they gave a off a high pitch "whine" almost like tinitus, But when the TV was off the whine was gone. So Yes the numbers say one thing, But dealing with people,, there are always exceptions. I could be wrong,, But i know what i smell man.
By yinepu
Sky924 wrote:I recall in my younger years i had a cousin that clamed she could here a dog whitsle,, LOL we gave her hell about that. And at my age when TV's had tubes and all. I could walk into a room and KNOW when those old style TV;s were on because they gave a off a high pitch "whine" almost like tinitus, But when the TV was off the whine was gone. So Yes the numbers say one thing, But dealing with people,, there are always exceptions. I could be wrong,, But i know what i smell man.
Lol.. are we related?.. I used to hear dog whistles and my family gave me hell over it.. I could also hear the same whine from those old TVs.. as well as the tone the old fashioned remotes made when they first came out with remote controlled TVs
By Sky924
Hi Yine!! It is so cool to know that someone out there feels the same as i do. I used to think i was crazy because of hearing TV's, remotes and such LOL!! And i can smell my VFT's. You remember those big remotes too!! So big and that was when we called them "clickers" Because there were no soft small buttons!! You had to really Press the thing and be sure it was pointed directly at the TV, and that Big dial not a digital display, would Turn!! LMAO!
Sky924 liked this
By yinepu
Sky924 wrote:Hi Yine!! It is so cool to know that someone out there feels the same as i do. I used to think i was crazy because of hearing TV's, remotes and such LOL!! And i can smell my VFT's. You remember those big remotes too!! So big and that was when we called them "clickers" Because there were no soft small buttons!! You had to really Press the thing and be sure it was pointed directly at the TV, and that Big dial not a digital display, would Turn!! LMAO!
Yup.. i remember not even having a TV then my parents finally graced us with a black and white!.. lol.. granted the "rich kids" had had them for a few years before we did.

dare I say my first computer was a used one?.. with the nice green screen.. it had two colors.. green and lighter green..... everything had to be done in DOS..
Before that my brother did bring one home from college.. he had borrowed it for the weekend.. the phone receiver had to sit in the modem (or whatever it was called back then). There was only one computer game on it which was "Hunt the Wumpus" all commands had to be typed in.. and there were NO graphics back then... ah the joys of living in the stone age! :lol:
By Sky924
LMAO i remember the green screens, by the time i got my first computer i thought dial up with a 28 k modem was the best!! LOL even if it took all night to downlaod and update of internet explorer!! The good ole days! when one could drop a phine and still keep the connection! I was a pong man when we had a computer Atari if i recall. LOL 64 bit . I have a watch now that has more memory than those things back then.
I miss the stone age But i dont want to go back! I cant even imagine uploading a pic or trying to participate in a forum with a 28k modem, Not to mention EVERY time the phone rang i got booted off line!! LOL

I have one fly trap that I bought back in Novemb[…]

Confirming they went in the mail yesterday. :D

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

is this normal for a d capensis?

the center is a swirly and some bits turned black.[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they g[…]

Only 3 days in the mail, and it arrived today! Th[…]

So much work!!! I love it!

I should have it all ready to list in June, but we[…]

Tissue Culture Project 2023

I know it has been just over a year. If you are st[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!