FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By owkenny

I have a 42 watt Compact Fluorescent bulb. The seedlings are all on that side of the terrarium which is why i didnt center it. Its the Dunecraft Terrarium kit thing. The lighting fixture is one of those old hanging lamp thing that i bent until it was angled enough.

also, are the things i have circled in the below pic VFT seedlings growing? They've been planted since April 17th (almost two weeks) and i didnt have any twigs or anything in there so I am guessing they are seedlings growing into stems.

By Steve_D
Hello owkenny-- Welcome to FlytrapCare.com! :D

OK--Here are just a few comments. Although you have already purchased it and it won't hurt, any cheap, disposable plastic food storage container would have worked absolutely as well as the little plastic Dunecraft terrarium (and maybe better, if the dome on the Dunecraft is not ventilated).

How many Venus Flytrap seeds came with the kit? Regardless of the number, they may be old and not germinate well, or at all.

Although a ventilated, covered container can be helpful in germinating seed, it is usually not strictly necessary (I use a covered container myself because I live in an area of very low humidity). It would be better if you did not keep the medium soggy wet. That may encourage rot, especially in enclosed spaces such as the little plastic terrarium. I would recommend taking the dish of water out from under the terrarium and just re-watering it from below occasionally (not often) because the dome will keep almost all the water inside. It simply can't dry out very fast or very easily, so there's no need (but some possibility of harm) to keep the seed-starting terrarium in water all the time.

Have you read the article about growing Venus Flytraps from seed, here at FlytrapCare.com?

Growing Flytraps from Seed
http://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-venu ... seeds.html

Quite a few people including myself will have fresh Venus Flytrap seed to share in just a few weeks. Right now (April-June) is the Venus Flytrap flowering and seed producing season.

Best wishes,
Steve
By owkenny
the top is ventillated, on the flat part. I just had a bad angle but there are holes on top. THe pack only came with maybe 7 or 8 VFT seeds in it along with some pitcher plants and cobra lillies.

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!