FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By victor
Can somebody tell me about how large(tall and wide) an adult drosera capensis var. wide leaf gets?
By sundewman
Well, I'm not sure that my D. capensis "Wide Leaf" has maxed out in size yet, since it's growing in a clump of D. capensis 'Albino', but if fed regularly, it can get leaves that are about 1.5- inches long on average for me, but a few leaves have been a bit larger occasionally. The petioles are pretty wide at times, depending on the lighting, I think. Sorry for the first crappy pic- i was taking this in very dim lighting at night in a greenhouse.

If left unfed, it will shrink back a bit with a leaf length of around 1.25" or so, and even kind of resembles D. esterhuyseniae:
By victor
Wow those are some immpressive plants you got there!!!

I didn't know the wide leaf variety would has leaves that wide and stout.
Basically I thought they look just like the regular drosera capensis but with slightly wider leaves.
By sundewman
Thanks!
Yeah, there's a "Broad Leaf" form that tends to more closely fit your description. I actually prefer that one over this, but haven't had the chance to trade anyone for it yet.

Another grower has a "wide leaf" form in this thread: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125365
But it looks like his plants are a bit different than mine are. The plant at the right in his pic here http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4058/dsc05219t.jpg looks moreso like mine, but the other plants in his pot to the left don't look like the wide-leaf form at all, and more closely resemble the giant broad leaf form I've seen before.
By SDCPs
sundewman wrote:Thanks!
Yeah, there's a "Broad Leaf" form that tends to more closely fit your description. I actually prefer that one over this, but haven't had the chance to trade anyone for it yet.

Another grower has a "wide leaf" form in this thread: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125365
But it looks like his plants are a bit different than mine are. The plant at the right in his pic here http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4058/dsc05219t.jpg looks moreso like mine, but the other plants in his pot to the left don't look like the wide-leaf form at all, and more closely resemble the giant broad leaf form I've seen before.

I have TONS of "broadleaf"! C'mon! I'm including a packet of seeds for you in my shipment.
By victor
Yeah the growers drosea capensis wide leaf looks just like I thought they would be.

About when should you feed a capensis?

Also, Which one do you recomend. Drosera capensis (typical) of wide leaf?
By sundewman
I usually feed my plants once ever month, but when I had more time, I fed them every 2 weeks.
For more feeding info, check out this page, which I recently updated: http://www.growsundews.com/feeding_sundews.html

I actually prefer the typical form. For some reason, I can't get my "wide-leaf" and Bains Kloof Cape sundews to flower for me for the past 2 years! The typical forms also have a much more predictable growth habit than the wide-leaf form, which I generally prefer. The "wide leaf" form actually looked pretty ugly for the first year I had it...so not sure what makes it change its leaf shape, but it seems to be pretty random depending on the conditions.
sundewman liked this
By victor
Hey thanks so much! I was surprised that you wrote the articles on www.growsundew.com.

Hey could you show me a picture of a typical drosera capensis so I know what to expect?
By sundewman
I surprisingly don't have many D. capensis typical pics, but here are the few I have:

in my tray with the "automatic" watering set-up in the greenhouse:

Only other pics I have are of growing them outdoors from a long time ago in my photobucket account:
By victor
All those pictures are fasinating and gorgeous

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!