FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By stevefalco
About a year ago, I decided to try growing orchids from seed. Crazy I know, but I wanted a challenge. I've been chronicling my progress in a blog: http://orchidaceous-theblog.blogspot.co ... chive.html in case anyone is interested.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd be interested in your experiences if you did. The hardest part for me was sterilizing the seeds prior to placing them on the nutrient agar. Surprisingly, the transplanting and thinning step a few months later was very easy, with no contamination problems.

At this point, the plants have roughly 3 cm long leaves, as shown in the latest post: http://orchidaceous-theblog.blogspot.co ... chive.html

Soon I'll take them out of their sterile jars, and see how they like the real world.
By moof
I've got a friend germinating orchid seeds, and there's some folks in Sweden doing so with great success, but they're germinating the species native to Europe. That's a nice achievement you made!
By Matt
Well done Steve! I've tried a few orchid seeds when I first started doing tissue culture. I've not tried them since and I threw out most of them, though I did get some germination without contamination. I just quickly ran out of time and space to propagate them and let the flytraps take over my TC growing area :)

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!