FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Andrew
I got my hands on some Darlingtonia Californica seeds, and I'm going on an aviation course throughout all of August, so I'm planning on putting the seeds on chopped LFS, inside of a margarine container to trap the moisture, then just leave it inside of the refrigerator until I get back. Will this be okay for stratification? Also, what substrate should be used after stratification?
By Andrew
Matt wrote:I sowed some Darlingtonia seed without stratification on live sphagnum and some on peat. The plants on live sphagnum are now more than twice the size of the plants on peat.
Do you remember your germination rate?

I think it would be best if I stratified them because I'm going away for a month, so I want to keep them fresh.
By Matt
Yeah, I'm not sure that stratification is needed for Darlingtonia seeds. I harvested the seeds from plants in the wild near my house in October and immediately started them under lights. They germinated quickly and I grew them under lights until March or so and then moved them out the greenhouse. They've continued to grow well out there this spring and summer.
By Andrew
Matt wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure that stratification is needed for Darlingtonia seeds. I harvested the seeds from plants in the wild near my house in October and immediately started them under lights. They germinated quickly and I grew them under lights until March or so and then moved them out the greenhouse. They've continued to grow well out there this spring and summer.
Oh. Thats interesting. But since I wont be able to sow them for another month and a half, do you think I should put them in the fridge for storage? I just don't want to have 25 seedlings under my lights when my brother is caring for them >.< His "All Green" VFT is on the verge of death.
By Matt
crushingandy wrote:do you think I should put them in the fridge for storage?
I'm sure that would be fine. Or you could stratify them. It seems like most people do and they get good results. I can't really comment about stratification because I've never done it with Darlingtonia seeds.
Matt liked this

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!