FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Pickles6
i got a nepenthes Alata! And once again, I cannot show the picture... Um, I was wondering if they're highland or lowland and I'm not really sure if they need humidity or not...can you help me guys?
By kittyklaws
Congrats on the new nep! :D
Nepenthes Alata have both a highland and lowland form, but they're pretty easy to grow and can adapt to low humidity environments. Good luck! :)
kittyklaws liked this
By snapperhead51
Hi pickles 6
Well it grows from sea level to 1900m but mainly found below 1400m , grows in a wide range and diverse land scapes , from logged regenerating forest ,rive banks , cliff faeces, wooded areas and open grass lands and lower and upper montane forest and scrub on ridges , mountain summits between 1900m and 1400m also occurs as an epiphyte as well.
Reference Pitcher plants of the old world by Stewart McPherson Volume Two. pages 634 to 646
It habits the Philippines so high humidity ,populations are critical in the main land, dew to deforestation and spreading population, but still in good numbers in the philippine archipelagos,Islands and national parks that are still protected !!
so knowing what plant you have is important for its health ,finding out is another problem , may be ask from whom you acquired it from, and see if they can shed some facts on its origin, or how they grew it ,as in what conditions it grew in ,could be a key information for you ,,,but all will need a good amount of humidity either way 60% up ,if low land will need more warmth all year round, especially winter!! if a high land will need to be cooler in summer ! but still high humidity ,there are many verities of N.alata from green to dark red to purple in colour but still not a good indicator of its origins, of either low or high land .,I find any low land plant will struggle in our winter time even though we do not have snow or heavy frost, and day temp can be up to 15c they, night temp will get to 2 or 5c. the leaves will brown off ,leaf will curl, no pitchers will form, a lot of leaf spotting and spider mite and fungal attacks will occur, things to look for if a low land plant
hope this helps
J
snapperhead51 liked this

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!