FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Garden_Faerie
Hi Everyone

I bought a pinguicula moctezumae a short time ago and in the hopes of getting it a little sunlight I put it outside for a bit. Apparently something has damaged the flower (probably the wind) and I wanted to know if I should cut the flower off, leave the flower until it dies or do anything else to help the pinguicula moctezumae recover.

Also, I may have let the soil get a little too wet (which could be the actual problem with the flower), is there any way to help my plant recover from the rotting leaves?

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information on the plant's health anywhere online so any help would be great! :oops:

Sheryl
By roey benjamin marcus
You should definitely cut the flower and stalk off. Also, I don't think hurting the flower will hurt the plant. Can you show us some pics? Where did you get your ping? How long do the leaves last before they rot? It might be root rot, too much sun, etc. but you're not giving enough information.
By Matt
The flower probably isn't going to have much of an impact on the plant's health, but it certainly won't hurt to cut it off.

As for caring for P. moctezumae, I've only grown them for about a year now and I haven't had any problems with mine. I keep their soil somewhere between damp and almost bone dry. Pinguicula are almost like succulents and they seem to be fine even if their soil dries out completely (which I've accidentally let happen a few times). I've never kept them very wet, but if you're doing that to yours, that would be my first suspicion as to why it's declining.

Also, Pinguicula don't like direct sunlight. I grow mine on the floor of my greenhouse under my benches where the sun rarely hits them or in a windowsill that only gets morning sunlight. Too much sun and they'll easily burn.
Matt liked this
By Garden_Faerie
Thanks so much for the help

I hope I can get my plant back to to a healthy state

I actually bought my plant at a local greenhouse but they had no idea what it was so I had to look it up online. It's growing in a terrarium in my bedroom, but some sites told me to give it lots of sun. So once a week I'd take my plant outside for some sunlight. But after reading this site I've also realized that I've been over watering it, so I'm going to stop watering it for a while, stop taking it outside and see if it gets better.

I've only had the plant about two weeks
By Garden_Faerie
LOL well it's good to know I might be a little over protective of my pinguicula and that it's still healthy
Help with care for my VFT

The plant is in decline due to lack of light. It w[…]

How much water is too much water?

HOW MUCH WATER IS TOO MUCH WATER? Jr_overwatered_[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I h[…]

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Korean Melody Shark

Smol

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!