FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Potatoez
Well today when I took my VFT pot out of the water I noticed this little slime thing hanging from it. The slime is tubular, about an inch long, about a centimeter in width, it has brown speckle all of running down it kinda like a spiral shape, and it was hanging from my pot by its goo/slime thing . Right now I have placed it in a babyfood jar filled with water, the slime is almost invisible except for the brown speckles. Here are some pictures if it helps, but since I took the pictures on my phone the quality is pretty bad. Anyone have any idea what it is? :?

By Potatoez
No I don't think its a larvae, its not moving and it is as clear as water except it seems the brown speckles are suspended inside it uniformly. If only I had a better camera... oh and it seems as the slime thing has the consistency of snot or something similar. :)
By Veronis
Assuming I'm understanding the description correctly...

I forget what it's called; it's some kind of slime algae. It forms when water trays are never allowed to completely dry out before refilling. The stuff is harmless and most of my drosera/utric/sarr pots have it. If you empty the pots and wipe the bottom of the pots and the trays it'll go away for a while. If you let the water trays dry out completely and refill before the soil dries out, it'll never form.

It is clear, sometimes has brown "speckles" (it's trapped peat particles and sometimes sand), and absolutely has the consistency of snot. Gross stuff, but harmless.
Veronis liked this
By Potatoez
Oh ok thank you I was afraid it might be harmful to my plants! :lol: But if you do ever find out the name send me a message. :D

see here http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pingu[…]

look here, good idea for ping culture http://pingu[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Noob with questions

this is the best 10min video for new grows i have […]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!